Osburn insert installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank6

Dec 10, 2012
long Island
Hi. I am new to the forum. I just had an Osburn 2000 insert installed. I don't like how the stainless steal liner was connected to the insert (see picture). Am I going to have issues because of the way this was installed? Should I have this fixed right away? Thanks.
photo.JPG

Hmmm...have issues, I doubt it. As long as the front part of the adapter is in the stove enough. Even though it looks like it is extremely close to coming out, if not already out.
Could it be better, yes. To do it right, you could use an offset box or an elbow, both available in stainless steel. If you want a simpler cheaper fix, you could install some furnace cement around that seam.

It sounds like you had this installed, I would call them back and say to redo it with an elbow.

Another thing, that looks like a smooth inner wall liner, am I right? It appears to be oval to fit thru the damper, if they do not oval it with a special machine, the inside layer of the liner buckles up, like fins on the inside.

I would have them come back an install an elbow or the offset box. Also check inside the liner yourself to see if there are buckles. You can bend them back down almost flush, but if you are having a company do it they should do it right. They should have cut some of the damper away so the liner could have stayed round. Just cutting a little time off their days work. The liner is structurally fine, there wont be any holes to worry about, it is safe. But if you paid for a smooth inner wall it should have those fins inside it. Just something to look for.

Like I said tho, if it has those fins it wont effect the safety of the liner at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.