Osburn Stoves is giving away a free wood splitter with certain purchases

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Timber12vt

Dec 31, 2013
Topsfield, MA
I have been in the market for a wood insert and think this may have swayed my decision (always had an Osburn 2000 or 2200 on my short list). Osburn Stoves is now giving away a free 5-ton electric/hydraulic log splitter with the purchase of the majority of their stoves. I will be putting the insert into a brick fireplace opening in our living room (of a 1700sq foot Cape). Wondering if anyone has any advice/opinions on the Osburn 2000 or 2200. Thanks!!

I've got a 5 ton electric and it is the bare minimum. If you've got tougher, larger 18"+ hardwood, or chunks with knots, it will need a fair bit of patience to split it, a section at a time. I bought mine used for $50. and have seen them new for sub $100. Everything is relative. If you are hand splitting now, a 5 ton is wonderful. Any savings is worthwhile, just don't expect a 5 ton to do everything.

I had the Osburn 2400 on my list but it got dropped by the Progress Hybrid. A bit of a price jump though.

I have the 2000 and you will be loading it every three to four hrs when it gets cold out.

I have the 2400i Osburn and like it so far. I usually get 6 hour burn times out of it when I load it full or put in big splits or limb wood (big ones). I also took advantage of the free 5 ton log splitter and I love it.
I have a big barn, so it's nice to have the electric splitter in the barn and I'll split wood all night long inside my barn. Like mentioned above, it will have a hard time splitting very hardwood and knotted wood, but I always have a maul or wedge close by and if you can get it started, it will split the rest easily. I have placed some pretty big logs in mine and have split them. And what the hell, if you don't want the splitter, just sell it on craiglist. I am looking to purchase a vertical splitter, but I will keep my electric 5 ton in the barn for late night splitting and for smaller stuff.

Reactions: etiger2007
Status
Not open for further replies.