Osburn Stratford and combustible shelf

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenTN

Feeling the Heat
Aug 30, 2015
East TN
so we finally pulled the trigger on an Osburn fireplace and hope to be installing it next week. I will be doing the install myself along with the help of my FIL. looking into the manuals for this unit, i found 2 different versions online, one from 2012 and one from 2014. there is a difference of 8" in the clearance to combustible shelf between manuals, the newer one with the higher measurement. i obviously want to install this as safe as i can, but would like the mantle shelf to be closer to the older specs than the new. my hearth is raised 10" off finished floor, so a 12" shelf would be over 6' with the new clearance guidelines.

does any one know why this changed?

I would go by the current documentation, especially if it was changed due to user feedback and concerns.

yeah, i already have my header mounted for 60" of clearance to shelf. i was just curious if this change was just Canadian standard changes since the stove is built in Canada or if there actually was an incident or feedback from users.

another curious note: the Flame Monaco, which i believe is pretty much the same unit as the stratford, has listed in a 2015 manual the clearances of the 2012 stratford manual. any chance its a misprint? i guess i may send off an email to inquire.

Good idea to contact Osburn support. Sometimes documentation is slow to catch up. If it is now higher yet you want to have it lower, ask them about attaching a mantel shield on spacers below the mantel.

email sent. i just read that the cert tag on the stove overrides all other docs. so i guess i will find out when it arrives and stick to that. not sure lowering the mantle with a shield would pass inspection by my AHJ (wife)

just to follow up, i received a reply to my email and Osburn support says the unit radiates more than previous tests and therefore larger clearances to the combustible shelf.

i got the fireplace installed today with most of the pipe, still waiting on correct roof flashing. almost time to spark the first fire.

Sounds like a cool install. Give us some pics so we can see the progress

this is the only pic of the project so far(if i loaded that right). stone should be delivered in a week or so and ill get more pics when that goes in along with mantle. we had a large shagbark hickory fall several years ago and i have 2 5"x10" chainsawed beams out of it. always thought it would be cool to use some of that wood in our home.
6711.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: chance04
this is the only pic of the project so far(if i loaded that right). stone should be delivered in a week or so and ill get more pics when that goes in along with mantle. we had a large shagbark hickory fall several years ago and i have 2 5"x10" chainsawed beams out of it. always thought it would be cool to use some of that wood in our home.
View attachment 186084

Boy that is going to look good. I really like the multi angle hearth for added interest

thanks. our old hearth was squared off and we really like the idea of softer corners, especially with youngins running around the floor.

stone finally showed up and we had a couple days in the 70's. i hope the real masons arent too hard on my install. my vertical lines are wacked but this was my first time working with stone. hopefully i will get finished tomorrow morning as momma wants the heat for the incoming cold weather.

Attachments

• 20161117_193601.jpg
    20161117_193601.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 339
You're doing fine. Only you will see the flaws.

Looks great!

Thanks guys, I am reading that the hardest work is still ahead, grouting it all.

Begreen, I know the cliche is "your always your own worst critic" but you haven't met some of my family_g

Thanks guys, I am reading that the hardest work is still ahead, grouting it all.
Begreen, I know the cliche is "your always your own worst critic" but you haven't met some of my family_g
Screw 'em, you're doing a great job.

That looks great. Love the stone. We're in the middle of our ZC install as well. Just waiting for the stone to go up in Dec. but we are using it now while waiting.
Our stone guy advised us not to use the fireplace for about 7 days after he completes the job because he said the high heat will cause the grout to dry too fast and may cause some gaps to show up between the grout and stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BenTN
You're doing fine. Only you will see the flaws.

My father-in-law, who came over from Germany after World War II and became an engineer at Pratt and Whitney designing jet engines (needless to say he was quite meticulous) always said when it came to home projects that if a person found a flaw with your workmanship they were more often than not looking for problems. I suspect he did not share that same philosophy when it came to building jet engines.

Reactions: MattyRetro
Our stone guy advised us not to use the fireplace for about 7 days after he completes the job because he said the high heat will cause the grout to dry too fast and may cause some gaps to show up between the grout and stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is my concern also. I just finished setting hearth stones and grout the lower hearth. now thinking I may hold off with the rest until monday, put the front back on fireplace, crank it up and watch the vols.

I need a mud ring for my outlet anyways.

I will probably keep the fan on the whole time to keep everything a little cooler.

HOPEFULLY

Status
Not open for further replies.