Oslo 500

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dazz

Jan 31, 2011
Before the Oslo I used a smaller VC for years. Each year I'd run the brush down the chimney and end up with a small pile of black dust. This picture is of a VC Encore that I did not use long and got rid of. My point being that it is no easy task to look at the creosote build up in my flue as you can tell by the picture. The Oslo weights over 400 lbs. and I'm 62. Do I need to inspect that flue liner more often than once a year? If so, do you have any suggestions for an easy way? I run the surface temperature of that excellent Jotul between 300 and 600 degrees. 2nd season wood. I love that stove.

Attachments

• Encore 001small.jpg
    Encore 001small.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 303
Burn good wood, burn the stove right and once a year should be fine. If you have trouble moving that stove, consider hiring a good chimney sweep once a year. Heck, the folks that sold you the jotul may even do it.

I would consider making the back surround two-piece for easy removal. Then, with a cleanout tee maybe moving the stove will not be necessary?

I recommend a chimney sweep. At some point, there are some jobs that are not just worth doing.

I recomend what BeGreen said : Now is that a oval cook plate I know they sell them do you use it ,like it , welcome .

It's not a cook top. Just a patina of rust on the oval stove top. I cleaned it up and sold the stove.

once a year is good, as stated if you use good dry wood. what ge green said is good too

Can't tell how far back the tee is, but I would run a brush down, then remove the oval top on the stove to make sure the brush was all the way down. Then you could clean out the tee using a small flexible brush and a shop vac.

cptoneleg said:
I recomend what BeGreen said : Now is that a oval cook plate I know they sell them do you use it ,like it , welcome .

that ain't the oslo in the pic there, it's a vc encore.

Can you post a picture of the Oslo installed? We love pictures!

Status
Not open for further replies.