Oslo air gate advice.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clodhopper

Nov 14, 2009
NE PA
The air control on one of my Oslo's has been sticky for a while (doesn't like to come out of the closed position) and usually I have to bump it with the poker in the morning. Today something broke loose in there so that the lever doesn't do anything when I move it, and it only moves from the right position to 2/3 of the way toward the left position. I have new parts on hand an the stove is almost cool enough to work on. Anything tricky I need to know about it? What size wrench do the doghouse bolts take (I'm assuming metric)?
Thanks,
Pete

Never mind, it was a piece of cake. Turns out the lever was bent about 45 degrees. I replaced it with the new one and I'm ready to go.

To keep the new lever from sticking you may want to take apart the doghouse periodically (I do it as part of my fall cleaning procedure) and liberally apply powdered graphite.

Reactions: bostock
exactly what FFJ said above. I take mine apart at least twice per season because it only takes a few minutes. (I believe it's a 10mm socket/wrench.) Get some powdered graphite in there where there is metal on metal an it'll move like new.

One trick - once the doghouse is off, go in through the side door and you'll get a much better view of things in there.

Time to do mine again. P&B dry lube for me. Never open the front door , somehow this gets the air control gummed up quicker.

To keep the new lever from sticking you may want to take apart the doghouse periodically (I do it as part of my fall cleaning procedure) and liberally apply powdered graphite.
Does the Oslo have the same primary air control as the castine?

I don't know if it is the same parts, but functionally they have a similar slider valve.

Never have needed to take the Oslo 500 dog house apart. The primary air control still works great.
I vacuum it out from both sides twice a year during the flue cleaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.