Oslo and the C450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodslinger

Feb 16, 2009
southern ill
Oslo users- what is the firebox size? What are real world burn times? any suggestions on use? Any users have the rear flue set up? Comments on durability and ease of use?

C450 users- same questions

Thanks for any input

I have not measured the firebox but others on this forum have - apparently, it is about 2.3 cubic feet.

Last year was my first year burning with it, not optimal wood. I burned in temps ranging from 0 to -25 celcius (+32 to -13 F). I achieved burn times of about 5 or 6 hours of usable heat (on average). My house was not very tight at the time, the windows were old and the flue is uninsulated, 1300sqft of space. Operating temps peaked around 700-800 F, with the temp towards the end of the burn cycle being closer to 300 or so. Below -15 C, the unit had trouble keeping the place warm. Not bad, considering the low insulation and old windows. This year should be much better (new windows and doors, added wall insulation, etc).

Never measured the firebox size, but the 2.3 cubic feet mentioned by OP1 sounds about right.

Burn time . . . well I guess it would depend on your definition of burn time. During the day when I'm home I generally do a reload every 4-5 hours . . . but for my overnight fire I load it up at 9:30-10 p.m. and when I get up at 5:30 a.m. there are plenty of coals left for me to get the fire going easily enough with some kindling (my wife who is more patient will often use small splits in place of kindling.) Usually the temps in the house haven't dipped to below 60 degrees F (the temp I've set my oil boiler to kick on) . . . unless it's wicked cold outside in which case sometimes the boiler will kick on for the last half hour to hour . . . it's a rare enough occurence that I now wake up when I hear the oil boiler kick on and go downstairs on those days to reload the stove.

My house is a 1970s vintage 2-story Cape in Maine (1,800 square feet) with moderate insulation/windows.

Problems . . . only had the Oslo for three years now . . . well going into Year 3 so it's still just a "baby" in stove years. Zero problems . . . just one annoying issue which isn't so annoying if you don't use the front door and use the side door more often -- ash tends to fall out of the front door and on to the ash lip due to the design. One on-going issue which is easily fixed -- the air control lever often gets a bit sticky -- easy enough fix -- undo two bolts, remove the dog house over the air control lever . . . apply graphite powder to the slide mechanism and you're good to go for several months.

Status
Not open for further replies.