Oslo coals against glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phatdonkey

Dec 15, 2014
West Norriton, PA
I know logs against glass is a bad thing.

I just reloaded for the night and some coals are against the glass. I moved some away very gingerly with my poker. Are these few coals something i should worry about?

Attachments

• 20150121_223137.jpg
    20150121_223137.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 107
Good to know guys. I was a bit worried but within a few minutes the embers touching it were no longer glowing. It was nice to get up to a warm house and not hear the furnace on. It wasnt really warm, but it was warm. I could fit 2 more logs in it maybe. Tonight ill really pack it tight.

Why are logs against the "glass" a bad thing? I mean it may soot up the glass a bit by interfering with the air wash . . . but it's not going to make the "glass" blow out or anything.

Embers and coals are also not a big deal . . . again . . . just sometimes makes a mess.

Reactions: Kevin Dolan
I cant explain why its a bad thing. I just read somewhere to not let it happen. This oslo is beautiful with smudges on the glass and all anyway. Haha.

For the record . . . it's not a big deal. I mean I wouldn't pile up huge rounds next to the "glass" or anything since there is always a small chance they could roll down and break the glass . . . but honestly . . . the neoceram/pyroceram is pretty tough stuff and can usually withstand quite a bit in terms of heat, impact, etc.

Really the worse that happens with a split or ember up against the "glass" is it smudges or blackens up.

Well... it's generally advised to not let logs roll up against the "glass". And loading splits "to close" to the glass, can go wrong if you are a bit off on your placement and close and dog the door against one, many stoves have lost their glass that way.

Good to know FFJ. Thanks for the info. Ive been scouring the internet to see where i read that. Maybe i made it up. Haha.
Maybe you read it in the manual, page 9:
Important:
Never build or allow the fire to rest directly on the glass. The logs should always be spaced at least one inch from the glass to allow for proper air flow within the stove.

Good for you, a lot of folks never read the manual.

Haha. Yup, that's where i saw it. I must have read that thing 10 times thursday night and knew i saw it somewhere.

See . . . you're not crazy. :)

Again . . . I suspect it's more for the air wash system than for the danger of the "glass" breaking or anything like that.

And again . . . I generally always keep the wood away from the "glass" as a rule . . . but if a split does roll up to the glass I don't panic.

Reactions: phatdonkey
Status
Not open for further replies.