Oslo Pipe Glowed Red Yeah It Did!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ansehnlich1

Retired Hearth.com Member
Dec 5, 2006
Adams County, PA
About a week ago or so I opened the side door and threw in 2 splits on top of a burning load. I didn't have it open long, just wanted to top it off before going to work. I'm guessing that added air got things crankin' inside there.

Stove top temp went up to 700, never went over 700, but the inner pipe of the double wall pipe was glowing red, 16 inches up from the stove top.

You see, the double wall pipe on my setup has these vent slots, and the outer pipe never glowed, but the inner one did as I could see it through the slots. It was not red above the slots, just below, but I never saw that before.

I'm guessing I burned off some creosote that was laying in there on top the baffle, or in the pipe, but I find it hard to believe that's the case because I routinely run it up to 600 to 650 stovetop temps.

Anyway, I shut the air off, and the temps dropped from there.

Checked the chimney top and never saw any smoke or nothin' coming outta there, all seemed normal except for the glowing pipe.

Maybe I just had it burning so dang vigorous it started to get out of control, but I ain't never had the stovetop above 700, and it didn't go above 700 when the pipe started glowing.

I know one thing, time for this old boy to get a probe thermometer, any suggestions?

3339664180_6911763c20.jpg

I am pretty sure you can go hotter with that stove. I have had my Castine pushing 800 and cooking like a little devil.

Only one suggestion . . . and it's one you've already made . . . purchase a probe thermometer . . . trust me on this one . . . once you have it you'll use it often and love it.

The T6 hit 803 yesterday. We're back in another Alaskan system. The house was cool, so I packed the stove with fir and some madrona. It stayed around that temp for about an hour. Stack temp stayed at about 600. I was glad to have the probe thermometer to keep track of how the flue was doing.

803.... Pretty exact.

IR thermometer. The old Sandman thermometer was roundtripping back towards 100 degrees. :cheese:

Sounds like a good time. Must have been nice in the house at that point :) Nothing gentle about that giant once you get up there.

True, she can become a hot beastie when aroused. The house is old and has a ridiculous amount of glass. It was just nice and cozy at about 75 in the living room.

Similar to my house. Glass and drafts everywhere, 700+ degree stove gets it to 72-75 in the main area, and doesn't even touch the upstairs.

We're lucky that the floorplan is pretty open for an old place and there is a large stairwell that does a good job of convecting the heat upstairs. Remarkably, the house stays at a fairly even temp with the wood stove burning. The living room is a little warmer, but not uncomfortably so.

I agree, a probe thermometer is just the ticket. I have had mine for about 2 months, the first time that thermometer hit 900 or so, kinda scared me. I don't run the furnace there, but 900 every week or so keeps the pipe pretty clean, however at 900 I still didn't see any glowing red, so you had it pretty hot.

We have a very open floorplan as well, but our unfortunate problem is that the foyeur with the staircase(and the unused front door) is by far the leakiest place in the house. On really cold days, it actually feels windy in there. I've even got plastic completely sealing up the outside wall in that room, and it definitely helps, but just not enough. Opening the staircase door to try to bring some warm air upstairs just brings cold air into the warm area and can completely negate the stove in any room other than the stove room.

Status
Not open for further replies.