Oslo-quality

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

janein

Sep 27, 2006
I want to replace my old VC Resulute Acclaim wood stove because the cast iron gratings keep warping and burning out. The Jotul Oslo 500 looks about right, but I have noticed that the internal cement joints are applied in a very sloppy manner, with uneven beads protruding from the joints and excess cement breaking off even as the stove stands unused in the showroom. It makes me wonder about quality in general.

Before committing to this stove I would love to hear what the people of this board can tell me regarding quality, reliability and performance of the Oslo.

Thanks in advance,

Jurgen

Hi Jurgen, I'm starting my 3rd season with my Oslo. As far as I'm concerned it's a fine stove. It puts out enough heat to warm a good sized house, lay-out permitting, the firebox is large enough to accomodate an overnight burn, and it's pretty good looking. As far as quality of contstruction goes, I have noticed a few posts here discussing Jotul mechanical failures, so I guess it happens. In my case I've had no problems at all. I do the regular maintenance things one would expect, but haven't had to replace any parts at all. There is a Stove review section on the main Hearthnet page that might give you an idea of what more people think of their Oslo's, as well as lots of other stove reviews that might be of interest to you.

Good Luck, Chris

Alot of manufactures get alittle sloppy with the furnace cement. Jotul stoves have high quality castings, heavy duty parts, excellent latches and typically draft well. If there is some slopy cement, you know they used plenty to glue the stove together. Most stoves i sell have sloppy cememt, hearthstone especially. Not saying this justifies it, but IMO, you looking at one of the best stoves in the Jotul line. Go out, visit many hearth shops. Look at all the stoves that compete with the Oslo, and make a informed decision. You wont be dissapointed.

Jurgen,
This is my first season with a Jotul Oslo, and stoves in general, although my girlfriend had one in her apartment before she moved here. I'm impressed with mine, and it's running in the living room now. Well put together, no leaks, latches securely, and solid. I'll be able to better respond at the end of the season, but these are my first impressions.

JotulOslo

Jotul has a strong reputation for making high-quality, reliable stoves. The Oslo should do you very well.

When was your Acclaim made? We have a friend that got rid of her Acclaim for the same reason, they had a bad run. But the word is that VC quality is returning in the past few years.

I'm going into my 5th season with my Oslo.

Not one single issue or dislike. This stove is absolutely fantastic.

Make sure you get the enamel finish if you buy one, it is worth it.

The Oslo is a quality stove. The top bottom plate on ours developed a crack. We've had a couple of welder friends take a look and they both said that it appears when the stove was put together the bolt was overtightened and then backed off. Was probably a miniscule crack that went unseen by Jotul, the dealer, and us. Hey, stuff happens. That's life.
Jotul and our dealer is standing by their product and swapping out our 2 year old Oslo with a brand new one this Friday. ;o)

Would I purchase another Oslo? You bet your arse I would. We love our stove. I believe Jotul is one of the best stoves on the market today. JMHO

Backspace

To all you friendly helpers:

Thank you for sharing your experience with the Oslo. I am sold now and will get one, enamelled and with outside air kit.

I have read the discussion of outside air supply on this board. The reason I want to use outside air is to eliminate the draft in the room. The air won't be too cold as it comes from the basement.

Regarding the Resolute Acclaim, I got it in 1990. It had
double walls and did not last a year. VC rebuild it free of charge in 1991, this time with an interior ceramic barrier instead of the double wall and some other changes. But the gratings kept burning out and I finally made my own steel gratings. The ceramic barrier keeps breaking up also and so does the insert for the 2nd stage burn. Replacements are expensive and there is just too much maintenance. Also, those fabulous long burns you people are talking about are something I never even approached with the Acclaim. It's time to say goodby.

Again, thank you all.

Jurgen

I think you'll be very happy Jurgen. Keep us posted.

Dylan said:
How does the torqueing of a bolt impact a panel to the point of it cracking, unless the panel was meant to 'float'. IMNSHO, the torgue on a fastener should only affect the threads or shank of a bolt or the threads of a threaded hole.

I was repeating what we were told by a couple of welders, who said it appeared that's what happened. I don't know why it happened or if it was a defect.

I'm not a mechanical type of gal, and have no idea about such things as torque and it's effects on cast iron. ;o)

Backspace

Dylan said:
Backspace said:
The Oslo is a quality stove. The top bottom plate on ours developed a crack. We've had a couple of welder friends take a look and they both said that it appears when the stove was put together the bolt was overtightened and then backed off. Was probably a miniscule crack that went unseen by Jotul, the dealer, and us.

How does the torqueing of a bolt impact a panel to the point of it cracking, unless the panel was meant to 'float'. IMNSHO, the torgue on a fastener should only affect the threads or shank of a bolt or the threads of a threaded hole.

You don't think cast iron can crack if to much pressure is applied?

Dylan if some were foolish enough to essemble a stove withan imnpact wench splitting cast iron would be easy. All it takes is one flaw near the bolt connection in the cast,,like an air pocket in the cast, One would not even need an impact wrench. That why I check bolts with torx wrench.

A friend of mine has a Firelight 600, that last year developed this exact crack.

He also does not burn with the ash pan door open, nor does he over fire the stove. This crack occurred in the 4th season of burning for him, which makes me believe he does not misuse the stove or it would have happened sooner.

Jotul warrantied the stove, but said in a letter they sent him it was a "1 time replacement", and they clearly blamed the crack on burning with the ash pan open (of course).

Jotul will warranty the stove, but shipping to/from dealer are on you.

Also of interest is that the Firelight and Oslo have the side load door on opposite sides of the stove, but both stoves developed cracks on the right side, so I can't see the side load door being a contributing factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.