Oslo real world burn times?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamsey

Feeling the Heat
Jan 3, 2014
CT
Looking at possibly putting this stove in and am curious about real world burn times.My definition of burn time is from reload to cruising back down to 300*. On the fence with the Oslo. My chimney produces a strong draft and I am worried about burn times.

Thanks!

Stovetop temps above 300 maybe 5-6 hours with good hardwood. I load at 9:00 PM before bed and can easily relight with a good amount of coals at 6:00 AM. My stove is downstairs in the family room and the temps in the upstairs have never been below 62. They are usually between 68-72. On a side note, I wanted the F600 but it wouldn't fit.

Same here. F600 or F55 but they are both too big. I only have two choices Oslo or Progress hybrid. For me to install the PH I would have to do some major work. I could do it but would rather spend my time getting ahead on the wood stacks.

What outside temps do you get that time with?

Last edited:
I use the same load procedure at night regardless of temps. The only thing I do different is grab better wood if its 10 degrees or below. If it's 15 and above my upstairs will stay 67 or above. Once it gets below 15 it struggles, but any stove would without doing another load at 2 or 3 AM. I'm in NY and it has been a pretty good cold stretch for a few weeks now. I've yet to turn on my baseboards. My house is 2,000 sq ft raised ranch.

Don't know what your chimney set up is, but if you have an excessively strong draft, then installing a flue damper will slow things down and make your stove function better, whatever stove you get, as well as keep more heat in the home/need less wood.

Don't know how big your home is, but there is no similarity in burn time between these stoves.

With a PH it is easy to get a 12 hour burn with stovetop at 350.

Status
Not open for further replies.