Oslo Replacement Baffle steel to Vermiculite...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warm_in_NH

Minister of Fire
Dec 17, 2013
central NH or N.E. CT.
The steel baffles on our Oslo are junk, warped, finished. The wife just ordered up a replacement, the new one is Vermiculite and comes with a blanket.

I thought I saw somewhere that the new one is one piece and requires the removal of the top of the stove to install it?

Is the blanket needed with the vermiculite version, I thought the one piece eliminated the need for it?

Looks like theirs 4 bolts to take the top of the stove off for this operation, is there anything else I should know about before I tear into it in a couple of weeks when the parts show up? (New gaskets, etc....)

Thanks.

EDIT:
Just downloaded new schematic for the Oslo, shows the one piece baffle with a blanket, so that's answered easily enough.

So I guess if anyone's taken the top off before, can you enlighten me on what to expect so there's no surprises. I hate surprises. Thanks!

Last edited:
Sorry I can't help with what your doing, as I haven't replaced mine. My 13 year old cast baffle plates are fine. We do some 600 degree burns but most of the time I'm around 350. So I'd say we don't run it hard.

I have heard guys here warping the plates, I wonder how. Did you maintain a good insulation blanket on top of them? I thought they were still available. Did you check?

Stove was used, free, got it when she was a couple years old, came with warped steel baffles.
Don't believe it came with a blanket, my wife obtained it before we were together. Now I'm slowly trying to rectify the small issues. Well, now that the bigger (potential burn the house down) issues are taken care of, we're getting her dialed in a bit more.

She has a stove top and pipe therm, so she's always run it conservatively, but it heats up the top quick with the gaps in the baffles. Be nice to get it fixed and really let it run. Despite the badly warped baffles the rest of the beast shows no signs of over firing damage.

I bought my Oslo used and it came with warped baffles as well. When I replaced the baffles and insulation blanket I was told the Vermiculite baffle would not fit in my older stove so I went with steel and so far no sign of warping. I'm thinking the previous owner burned too often too long with the side door open a crack.

Stove was used, free, got it when she was a couple years old, came with warped steel baffles.
Don't believe it came with a blanket, my wife obtained it before we were together. Now I'm slowly trying to rectify the small issues. Well, now that the bigger (potential burn the house down) issues are taken care of, we're getting her dialed in a bit more.

She has a stove top and pipe therm, so she's always run it conservatively, but it heats up the top quick with the gaps in the baffles. Be nice to get it fixed and really let it run. Despite the badly warped baffles the rest of the beast shows no signs of over firing damage.

The beast has been a great stove for us. I mention the insulation blanket, as it is fragile. Mine last 2 or 3 years. Besides keeping the fire box hotter, I think it keeps the burn plates more evenly heated, which may prevent them from warping. After paying a lot for the first blanket at the stove store, I bought a roll of the same material.

I've seen the vermiculite plate, and thought it could be broken loading the stove. If you need to take the top off the stove to get it in and out, it doesn't sound good. I need to take my plates out to clean the chimney. Maybe others with this burn plate will explain how they deal with it.

Removing the top of the stove should be no big deal. It's gasketed and meant to be removable. I've read that in England they remove the bolts that hold the top down for shipping and leave them off.

took the top off my f3 CB two weeks ago, when ia few installation faults were getting checked over. Must be very similar process to your stove, mine's just smaller.

Very easy to unscrew.. But then my stove's only a year old.. no surprises at all.. All very straightforward, everything just lifts off and out and slots back in easily.. Even for a newbie like me. Screws didn't even need to be fully removed.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Status
Not open for further replies.