Oslo tip from the dealer today....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
Here's a tip I got at the dealer today: If you don't have a tee, look straight down on the top of the Oslo and see the oval plate. Removing the oval plate gives you access to clean crud that falls when the chimney is cleaned. Looking at the oval plate, at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock there are nuts inside the stove which hold down the oval plate. Remove these nuts, remove oval plate and you have access to vacuum out the crud. :) The only warning was don't disturb the insulation which is right under the oval plate. Yes, there is a rope seal around the oval but removing the oval should not disturb the seal.

Quick edit: Re-install oval, tighten nuts before burning!

Shari

The top plate is required to be removable for cleaning by UK code I believe. They remove the bolts and leave them out. The top is heavy enough for a good seal.

Shari said:
Here's a tip I got at the dealer today: If you don't have a tee, look straight down on the top of the Oslo and see the oval plate. Removing the oval plate gives you access to clean crud that falls when the chimney is cleaned. Looking at the oval plate, at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock there are nuts inside the stove which hold down the oval plate. Remove these nuts, remove oval plate and you have access to vacuum out the crud. :) The only warning was don't disturb the insulation which is right under the oval plate. Yes, there is a rope seal around the oval but removing the oval should not disturb the seal.

Shari

Shari,
Just kicked over to Arboristsite and saw your post about the new stove. Thought the name looked familiar, so came back here. Sure enough, you're you.
Had me cornfused at first, since your name over there is not what it is here.
No, not stalking. Really.
We need pics over here too. :)

PapaDave said:
Shari said:

Shari

Shari,
Just kicked over to Arboristsite and saw your post about the new stove. Thought the name looked familiar, so came back here. Sure enough, you're you.

PapaDave,

Believe it or not I understood your post! :lol: I am in stealth mode here....... Shhh don't tell anyone!

Shari

Hmmm.... gotta change my avatar now with the new stove coming......

Shari

Shari said:
PapaDave said:
Shari said:

Shari

Shari,

PapaDave,

Believe it or not I understood your post! :lol: I am in stealth mode here....... Shhh don't tell anyone!

Shari

HA, I KNEW it! A double agent.
Your secret is safe with me. ;-P

I was remembering about this post today as I was looking at my Olso and have a question. How do you get to the nuts holding the oval down with out removing the secondary burn tubes? in other words what's the advantage if you have to remove the internal tubes to get to the nuts?

The Oslo manual tells you to remove the screws before lighting the stove for the first time and leave them out. Easier to do the cleaning when necessary. Does anyone read these things anymore?

Hey Mad, thanks for your quick response and welcome to the site. Gee I read my manual a few times over the last few years and after being chastitized by you for being a slacker I just re-read it and saw no mention of freeing the oval plate before using the stove. Maybe you could give a poor slob like me a little more giudance?

Mad Tom said:
The Oslo manual tells you to remove the screws before lighting the stove for the first time and leave them out. Easier to do the cleaning when necessary. Does anyone read these things anymore?

She will when the stove is delivered along with a manual.

PapaDave said:
HA, I KNEW it! A double agent.
Your secret is safe with me. ;-P

Safe with me, too.

Believe it or not we are still waiting for our stove install. Went up to the store today - stove is sitting there with our name on it - dealer has 1/2 downpayment - waiting for insulation to be delivered. Is it wrong(?), I stroked the sides of the stove and said "Baby, it's cold out there. Can't wait till you can come home." ;-)

Shari

Shari said:
I stroked the sides of the stove and said "Baby, it's cold out there. Can't wait till you can come home." ;-)

I have owned a lot of wood stoves. First time I ever wanted to be one. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Shari said:
I stroked the sides of the stove and said "Baby, it's cold out there. Can't wait till you can come home." ;-)

Dude that's just wrong! PS - I knew a Sharon a couple years back... he was about 6'3 and 225. No difference to me but I'm just saying... careful what you ask for ;)

BrotherBart said:
Shari said:

Oh, hush on you, BB! Hubby would be jealous if he read this list! :)

Shari

chrisN said:
I was remembering about this post today as I was looking at my Olso and have a question. How do you get to the nuts holding the oval down with out removing the secondary burn tubes? in other words what's the advantage if you have to remove the internal tubes to get to the nuts?

It can be a bit of a challenge for a guy like me with pudgy fingers and hands, but it is do-able . . . you can reach above the baffle and burn tubes and below the oval late and top and undo the nuts with a wrench. The nut at the front is easy . . . the one in the back may require a little more finesse, but you do not need to remove the baffle or secondary burn tube.

So when you guys clean the pipe, you just leave it connected to the stove, then remove the oval and clean what fell out of there? I thought Id disconnect the stove for a cleaning a bag the end of the pipe, but if this is the recommendation, maybe I'll just give this a try.

logger said:
So when you guys clean the pipe, you just leave it connected to the stove, then remove the oval and clean what fell out of there? I thought Id disconnect the stove for a cleaning a bag the end of the pipe, but if this is the recommendation, maybe I'll just give this a try.

Only speaking for myself here, but for me there is a distinction between cleaning the chimney and cleaning the stove pipe due to my stove pipe and chimney set up. I have a "out and up" install . . . stove pipe goes up 3-feet and then out through the wall to a T and then straight up the side of the house . . . which means doing a quick and easy clean outside is wicked simple (unscrew 3 screws, remove cap, brush, reinstall cap, screw 3 screws . . . done . . . with what little creosote is there falling on to the snow or ground.)

I do clean the stove pipe . . . but that is done once a year at the start of the season or end of the season. Last year I took the pipe apart . . . this year I may leave it in place and clean it as it was a pain to put back together.

Status
Not open for further replies.