Ostrich Ferns

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
These ferns are down in a ravine in the southwest part of our property.

Sav the second picture is off the web of fiddleheads. :-/ They could be fiddleheads.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_3099.jpg
    100_3099.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 359
  • fiddlehead-ferns-2.jpg
    fiddlehead-ferns-2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 313
WE have some of those too Zap but most of ours are the fiddleheads.

Backwoods Savage said:
WE have some of those too Zap but most of ours are the fiddleheads.

You have me wondering which type of fern they actually are, we do have fiddleheads all over.

Zap

I think an ostrich fern is a type of fiddlehead fern, the fiddlehead just being the broder clasification of any fern that has a rolled up frond at sprout.

Adios Pantalones said:
If you have kids- this is the place to play dinosaur.

even if you dont have kids...this is the place to play dinosaur.

LOL. Fern Gully!

I love ferns....I have some in a couple of my beds (think they are the same as in the pic) but have to split them every year because they spread so much....The landscaper put them in a few years ago...don't know why probably because he dug them out of the woods somewhere and to save money put them in there... >:-( That is a whole other story...won't be using that landscaper again...shister...)
My backyard goes up into the woods and I would like to plant some of them under the trees to make it look prettier like in the picture...I am sure if I put a few of them there they would probably take over and spread easily....don't you think? I believe those type of ferns do not require direct sun so they should do well under the trees?

I tried a fern in my bed one time but went right back to having my wife in there instead.

Backwoods Savage said:
I tried a fern in my bed one time but went right back to having my wife in there instead.

You bugger Denny..... :lol:

GAMMA RAY said:
I love ferns....I have some in a couple of my beds (think they are the same as in the pic) but have to split them every year because they spread so much....The landscaper put them in a few years ago...don't know why probably because he dug them out of the woods somewhere and to save money put them in there... >:-( That is a whole other story...won't be using that landscaper again...shister...)
My backyard goes up into the woods and I would like to plant some of them under the trees to make it look prettier like in the picture...I am sure if I put a few of them there they would probably take over and spread easily....don't you think? I believe those type of ferns do not require direct sun so they should do well under the trees?

Gamma Ray, we tried replanting some from our lot I cut on to the lot our house sits on with some luck. We have plenty of white pine around the house so unless we rake up the needles not much grows in that area.

About the Savs comment, must be Fern's growing capabilities on Dennis didn't work. :zip:

Zap

Do you guys eat fiddlehead ferns like they do here in Maine . . . or is that just a Maine thing?

firefighterjake said:
Do you guys eat fiddlehead ferns like they do here in Maine . . . or is that just a Maine thing?

No...I don't eat them....never heard of anyone eating them....what do they taste like?

Seems like they would be "stringy"... :lol: Bet you need a whole lots of dental floss after chompin on them.... >:-(

GAMMA RAY said:
firefighterjake said:

No...I don't eat them....never heard of anyone eating them....what do they taste like?

They taste a bit like green beans. Not too bad actually, but you need to get them young and still tightly coiled.

Those look like Lady Ferns. Native to US and are like Asparagus to bears!

Status
Not open for further replies.