OT A good weedtrimmer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Whats a good home owner weed trimmer. I've had both a craftman and a Roybi they are both in the trash.

How much do you use one? Gas or electric? Different attachments used like rototiller, leaf blower, edger?

If you go through them quickly, professional quality may be the answer.

Matt

I looked at the Stihl FS 90, but Please! $300 for a weedwhacker!, plus $200 for each attachment!!!!! Does anybody know anything about the Lowe's Troy-bilt 4 cycle trimmer? I was thinking of trying that one.

MB

I'm going to use the thing 20min. a week during the summer. The less I pay the better, there no cool factor
in weed eaters. I want one that starts easy and every time. I hate ones that won't start, pulling that cord in the 90 deg. heat. is the pitts.

I got that FS90. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/2691/
Interesting that the Stihl site posted above doesn't hype the 4-Mix engine....hmmm.
I've used it some to trim the hydroaxed (?) rocky shoulder in front of my house.
I have a blade on it, but I don't think it's agressive enough-I might try the tri blade.
The string trimmer has not been that satisfying, but maybe it's me or the area attempted to trim-it seems to jam up.
I also think it's somewhat low on power on high end and will get it tuned soon (this topic was a good reminder for me).
I definately used my face screen helmet, for sure!
It's quiet and the bike handle and shoulder sling is pretty ergonomic (a good thing, since I don't think it's that lightweight).

I have the Stihl FS85. Best purchase I have made. I also owned cheaper models including the Ryobi. After an hour I would be numb from the vibration and aching from working the damn thing. With the Stihl I can cut for hours and although it's still work, it's totally bearable. Get a real tool and you won't regret it.

I have a Ryobi with the detachable attachement setup, although the trimmer is the only attachment I have for it. Purchased cheap as a "factory recon" from HF a few years ago. Mostly I use it with the brush cutter blade for trimming back the more agressive undergrowth. I have had to replace the drive shaft after it stripped out, but I've been cutting some heavy brush with it and arguably abusing it by overloading.

The few times I've used the string trimmer I haven't been that impressed, but I don't think I've ever encountered a string trimmer that did impress me, so I couldn't say it was worse than normal...

I have not made a formal study of it, but casual observation of the lawn services that I see when running around suggests that a lot of them also use the Ryobi as opposed to a more "pro" grade unit.

Otherwise the unit's been pretty reliable, starts OK, and for the 3-4 tanks of gas a year I run through it, has been OK. I use it with the shoulder strap and the secondary handle - it's been reasonably comfortable.

Gooserider

The straight-shaft Echo trimmers that they sell at HD are probably the best homeowner trimmers out there. Echo really has figured out how to build a good trimmer, and they've been doing it right for a long time now. Their motors are still two-stroke, which is nice - fewer parts to break, simple to work on - and with proper care they last forever.

As for the Ryobi/Craftsman/PoulanPro/TroyBilt/Etc. trimmers, I would sooner buy a pawnshop machine from a proper manufacturer than one of those. And this isn't even so much an indictment of their quality as the fact that you can't get parts for them without ordering them, waiting, waiting, and waiting some more. At least with the major brands - Echo, Stihl, RedMax, Shindaiwa - you can take advantage of the huge network of dealers that actually have parts in stock when you need them, and that have the skill and knowledge necessary to get your equipment serviced and back in action without having to ship it off to a "service center." That sort of stuff is worth something to me.

computeruser said:
The straight-shaft Echo trimmers that they sell at HD are probably the best homeowner trimmers out there. Echo really has figured out how to build a good trimmer, and they've been doing it right for a long time now. Their motors are still two-stroke, which is nice - fewer parts to break, simple to work on - and with proper care they last forever.

As for the Ryobi/Craftsman/PoulanPro/TroyBilt/Etc. trimmers, I would sooner buy a pawnshop machine from a proper manufacturer than one of those. And this isn't even so much an indictment of their quality as the fact that you can't get parts for them without ordering them, waiting, waiting, and waiting some more. At least with the major brands - Echo, Stihl, RedMax, Shindaiwa - you can take advantage of the huge network of dealers that actually have parts in stock when you need them, and that have the skill and knowledge necessary to get your equipment serviced and back in action without having to ship it off to a "service center." That sort of stuff is worth something to me.

Not to argue, but as a data point, my neighborhood power equipment guy (close enough I DRIVE our equipment to him...) took about 3 days to get the shaft for my Ryobi - the only part I've ever needed for it... He says he does alot of Ryobi work (because there are a lot of them out there, not because they are bad...) and doesn't have noticeably more trouble getting parts for them than for any other brand. He has several parts suppliers and mostly orders parts "as needed" with that sort of turn around for most items.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.