(OT) any ex smokers out there? How did you kick it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep up the great work bfunk! Just get through tomorrow. From what I remember after day 3 it started to get easier day by day. I made it a challenge where I told myself I would not go back to 0 hours, or in your case now days since quitting. I would make myself go for walks when I wanted to smoke. By the time I got back I did not want it anymore.

I used Wellbutrin to help me quit about 5 or 6 years ago. That was before the Chantix stuff, but I hear it is great. Honestly the only way to quit is to make your mind up to it. Unfortunately for me it took my best friend getting diagnosed with cancer for me to make my mind up.

After he was diagnosed, and I went over to visit to try to cheer him up. He fired up a smoke, and I asked him "Aren't you going to quit?" I remember thinking to myself that if/when they diagnose me with cancer I would quit on the spot. His reply to me was "I already have cancer. It can't get any worse." I realized he was right. I could not believe I was dumb enough to think it was going to take me getting diagnosed with cancer to quit. By then it is to late. It was at that moment I made my mind up to quit. He died back in 07. I sure do miss him. I did quit before he died, and he knew he might have saved my life (again) for making me realize how stupid I was.

Best of luck to you. It sure can be done, and you will be better off for it.

Good story allhands!
And since starting this post i have thought exactly what you pointed out. "many people on this forum that don’t know you care enough to support you!"
I think its a life changing battle for most, and a real milestone, a great accomplishment. Maybe this is why people i don't even know are super supportive and taking time to tell their story.
You all realize its no easy feat, but can be done.

Cold turkey and NO CRAVINGS?????
Man! Good for you.

I was tested a few times real good today, but HELL NO! Not even one.
Although it's not why i am quitting, but as a bonus i figure i will save $181.50 this month for not smoking.
Thanks everyone.

bfunk I am so proud of you. Surrounding yourself with a support group is one of the keys to success. Cigarette cessation is chemical. That's because your brain produces dopamine when smoking. Your body got used to that..Now that you are going thru withdrawal- identify the "triggers". Waking up in the morning, having that cup of coffee, eating, etc..the habitual things..Hell you might even experience restlessness, insomnia, and your wife just might find you to be a pita.

My next door neighbor is a neurologist. He works at Brookhaven National Lab. Thru a gov't grant he is working on a cure for drug addicts and how dopamine effects them. Had many conversations with him when dh/myself were trying to quit. I wished dh would have listened to him. As you already know it's an uphill battle. Maybe one of the toughest in your life. If you feel weak, whip out that photo of your kids. Look, I mean really look at it. Think of how their life would be without you and how much you would miss them.

Hang in there buddy. There are plenty of people here to cheer you on. Join us as an "ex"...Hell I used to look at pbs programs that showed operations..The lung surgery made me sick. My husband never thought he would be stricken..Yeah right. Keep it up snowleopard. Good post.

bfunk I sincerely hope tomorrow is easier than today...Kick a$$....

You're doing a great job. The craving won't go away, but it will diminish a lot and become more of a background urge after a while. Keep up with the visualizations when the urge strikes. That's what I did. And if necessary chew on a stick of nylon or something for the oral fix. Just keep the image of this beast trying to tempt you and you are walking away from it, forever.

You guys are good!
Funny how this really helps, never thought it would.

Yes piejam i am a complete PITA!! LOL

MY Turn,

Ok so you're a crazy PITA...181.50 bucks a month!!! Put that away for the kids education, investment account..anything but "up in smoke" goddammit!

Congratulations on making it through the day. I know you can make it through the night. I am pulling for you.

Crazy how headstrong i am this time.
I have tried to quit before and never felt this way, always had major doubts if i could do it.
I don't have that this time, its like i know i will beat it. Great feeling.

I was hoping some other smokers from the forum would join me, come on, no better time than now.
I didn't expect this support system here, but it helps and is awesome!

One day at a time pal..You are in the process of opening a new door every day. Just walk thru. If you hit a wall, well just remove it brick by brick. The cure varies from person to person. What worked for me may not for you. People here will help you find the answers you seek.

This is such a cool place. Everyone is sharing their stories and part of themselves. Can't think of a better way to spend my time! Going to go now because contractors are ripping out my kitchen on Monday. I will be off line for awhile. My thoughts will be with you in your quest to be smoke-free. Spit in that devil's eye because he took so much from me!

Hope whoever is going to the Woodstock open house has a great time. Must be wonderful to associate a name with a face! Please post plenty of pix's-Thanks.

PS-Can anyone tell me why the crew picks on poor Dennis so much??? LOL

bfunk13 said:
Today was a total groan, i went out with a friend to cut some firewood and it was all i could do not to stop on the way out of town and buy a pack.
But, i resisted figuring if i buy a pack for that "one smoke" it will not stop at one and i know that too well after trying to quit before.
So i brought sunflower seeds and tons of gum.
Was just as hard when i made it back to town, but HELL NO i am not even going to have that "one".
One thing that helped is when i got that craving i thought of an overflowing ashtray with a cig still burning down to the filter. How nasty that smells even to a smoker.

piejam , no my wife has never smoked and yes she will keep me busy alright. Thanks for your kind words.

Seriously all of your replies have helped me with this, and hopefully there are some current smokers lurking and reading here that will come battle this with me.

Never smoked so I don't know what you're going through . . . but I just wanted to say congrats on getting through Day One.

Also, +1 about PieJam's post . . . that was some very heavy and sobering stuff . . . keep at it BFunk . . . I know your wife and kids will thank you some day.

bfunk13 said:
Crazy how headstrong i am this time.
I have tried to quit before and never felt this way, always had major doubts if i could do it.
I don't have that this time, its like i know i will beat it. Great feeling.

I was hoping some other smokers from the forum would join me, come on, no better time than now.
I didn't expect this support system here, but it helps and is awesome!

Never met you and probably due to the location where we live never will . . . but damn man you're making me proud and if this is the case I know your wife and your kids (some day) are/will be more proud of you than I ever will.

Kicking a$$ and taking names . . . way to show nicotine who is in control of your life!!!!!

piejam said:
One day at a time pal..You are in the process of opening a new door every day. Just walk thru. If you hit a wall, well just remove it brick by brick. The cure varies from person to person. What worked for me may not for you. People here will help you find the answers you seek.

This is such a cool place. Everyone is sharing their stories and part of themselves. Can't think of a better way to spend my time! Going to go now because contractors are ripping out my kitchen on Monday. I will be off line for awhile. My thoughts will be with you in your quest to be smoke-free. Spit in that devil's eye because he took so much from me!

Hope whoever is going to the Woodstock open house has a great time. Must be wonderful to associate a name with a face! Please post plenty of pix's-Thanks.

PS-Can anyone tell me why the crew picks on poor Dennis so much??? LOL

I can only speak for myself . . . I share the view points of many folks here, but perhaps none so much as Dennis despite the difference in our ages . . . I have never met him (but this will hopefully change this weekend), but he truly is a good person with a good soul (just don't tell him that as I have a reputation to uphold.)

Of course one of the few things that we disagree on is that he insists on splitting wood vertically as it is easier for him whereas I find it much better and easier physically to split wood horizontally . . . the truth being . . . it really depends on the individual -- some folks find it easier to do vertically while others find it easier horizontally. So of course, me being me . . . I'm going to pick on him as much as possible . . . and he does the same to me.

Just thinking of you again, hope your feeling great about what your doing. Taking control of your health, it works. Went to the heart doctor the other week, blood pressure 152/100. Wanted to hit me with meds for life for high blood pressure. Read the side effects, no thanks. Stopped drinking, started exercising daily, and eating good. Now 2 weeks later, blood pressure 127/84. No meds! So your doing the right thing, you'll reap the benefits big time for your health. Keep the control, I'll keep you in my prayers brother! Hey, your family has to be jumping up and down that you quit. If you feel like smoking, just give your wife and kids a hug. ;-)

Thanks Jake!
And good for you xclimber! Keep it up and thanks to everyone for the support, i am not kidding when i say it really helps.
Today is day 5 with zero nicotine intake. Like i said this time is different than any time in the past.
In the past i tried the nic gum and patch and cutting down on cigs. Not the way to go, throw em away and never pick any of it up again.
Seems if you have that crutch of "some" nicotine you just prolong the agony.

I took the wife and kids to the mountains yesterday and it was so nice. Wasn't in any hurry or really had any plans. Just a drive to see the fall colors.
The kids had a blast throwing rocks in the stream i was planning on fishing, but oh well i had more fun watching them than catching any fish. I think it was good therapy.

bfunk13 said:
Thanks Jake!
And good for you xclimber! Keep it up and thanks to everyone for the support, i am not kidding when i say it really helps.
Today is day 5 with zero nicotine intake. Like i said this time is different than any time in the past.
In the past i tried the nic gum and patch and cutting down on cigs. Not the way to go, throw em away and never pick any of it up again.
Seems if you have that crutch of "some" nicotine you just prolong the agony.

I took the wife and kids to the mountains yesterday and it was so nice. Wasn't in any hurry or really had any plans. Just a drive to see the fall colors.
The kids had a blast throwing rocks in the stream i was planning on fishing, but oh well i had more fun watching them than catching any fish. I think it was good therapy.
Bfunk, wow,,,, 5 days! Great! Your 100% right about just quiting. People told me you can still have a glass of wine or a beer with a meal. Nope, I'd rather have none after feeling how much better I feel now. And I loved my microbrew places. In fact a good friend of mine owns the Albany Pump Station brewery. It'll be lemon and water but I don't care, your health is everything, and you have to be feeling the difference after five days. It's all worth it! I can still have a great time without drinking and you'll do the same without smoking.............Charlie

Congratulations on five days. I know you can make it through this day. I am pulling for you.

Bfunk Bfunk, he's our man, if anyone will quit he surely can

Got gorgeous kids and a beautiful wife

Why the hell would he f###k up his life?

Thanks Pyro....could not resist..Day from hell. Dust everywhere. Hate dealing w/contractors.

Bfunk hoping you continue on the road to good health! Please excuse my foul language. I'm not as ladylike as snowleopard. wish I was.

Thanks Jake for the post!!!!

piejam said:
Bfunk Bfunk, he's our man, if anyone can quit he surely can

Got gorgeous kids and a beautiful wife

Why the hell would he f###k up his life?

Thanks Pyro....could not resist..Day from hell. Dust everywhere. Hate dealing w/contractors.

Bfunk hoping you continue on the road to good health! Please excuse my foul language. I'm not as ladylike as snowleopard. wish I was.

Thanks Jake for the post!!!!

lol, not one today!
foul language? where? you couldn't offend me if you tried. Not that type.
Thanks for the support!

Look at you! Not a one-that's great!! How sweet it is...Hope you start feeling better...

Hit the pound sign once too many. Got to remember this is family forum...Amazing I could not stay away..Ran a 30ft coax to get back on line. Kitchen/familly room is trashed due to remodel..

Take care and keep up the good work...

I joined quitnet an anti smoking website.

They have a gadget that you plug in your quit date, and how many cigs a day you smoke. It keeps a tally for you. Heres my current stats.

6 days, 12 hours, 11 minutes and 39 seconds smoke free.

143 cigarettes not smoked.

$36.30 saved

1 day, 2 hours of your life saved.

bfunk13 said:
I joined quitnet an anti smoking website.

They have a gadget that you plug in your quit date, and how many cigs a day you smoke. It keeps a tally for you. Heres my current stats.

6 days, 12 hours, 11 minutes and 39 seconds smoke free.

143 cigarettes not smoked.

$36.30 saved

1 day, 2 hours of your life saved.
That seems to be a cool site. That's got to make you feel good, seeing the money you saved already. Cool site!

Thanks for posting..Saw you were MIA for a couple of days..Hoping you didn't fall off the wagon! What a "Report Card" fella..That's grrreat! How do you feel, and don't tell me with both hands..Was going to go underground for a while but Fred and Jake told me you need someone who went thru this hell to cheer you on..So here I am...

I posted Craig to thank him and others for creating this site..I explained how good natured the crew was in putting up with me and my endless questions on other threads..Advised him I'm worse than water boarding..lol...

How nice for your non-smoking wife not to kiss an ashtray! Good part is that the minute you stop your lungs start to heal themselves..Don't be fooled by thinking "Oh I'll just have one"...Its nice to control your life instead of something that controls you. Through no fault of your own you became addicted. Sure you started to smoke, that was your decision but the damn cigarette co's have chemicals in there to assure future income...

In this day and age its nice to have a few extra bucks too..For me it took awhile for the urges to fade...Got to go now. You take care and keep up the good fight.

Thanks piejam!
Nope, still zero nicotine.
Feels really good. I work in an oil field, so i pretty much live in my truck for 12 hrs a day. I was worried about going back to work and not smoking, but no biggie.
I made a mp3 cd with 122 "feel good" songs on it. I crank it up, chomp on sunflower seeds, gum and hard candy and do my work. I am really enjoying not smelling like an ashtray. And yes so is my wife.
Even the smokers at work are not bothering me, its funny now when i see someone smoking i think "what a stupid thing to do".
It also feels really good not being controlled. I never realized after 20 years of smoking how we are trained to make sure we have our lighter and smokes at all times. Checking before we go home if we have enough to make it through the night. Or going out at night to get a pack. Making sure you have at least one for the morning. That is B.S to be controlled by something like that.

I could not say this ever before, but i am actually enjoying quitting. Its like "F - U Marlboro Man" i am not giving in.

bfunk13 said:
It also feels really good not being controlled. I never realized after 20 years of smoking how we are trained to make sure we have our lighter and smokes at all times. Checking before we go home if we have enough
to make it through the night. Or going out at night to get a pack. Making sure you have at least one for the morning. That is B.S to be controlled by something like that.

That was it for me. Once I knew how hard it was to quit it pissed me off so much the withdrawal only fueled the fire.

btuser said:
bfunk13 said:
It also feels really good not being controlled. I never realized after 20 years of smoking how we are trained to make sure we have our lighter and smokes at all times. Checking before we go home if we have enough
to make it through the night. Or going out at night to get a pack. Making sure you have at least one for the morning. That is B.S to be controlled by something like that.

That was it for me. Once I knew how hard it was to quit it pissed me off so much the withdrawal only fueled the fire.

Hell Yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.