(OT) any ex smokers out there? How did you kick it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your family is beautiful..Warned you in an earlier post the Habitual Things,ID the Triggers, PITA to family etc..Told ya! Glad you did not lose your temper..Working every day without time off is tough. Used to smoke while driving around on midnite-8am tour alot..So glad I'm free now..Your next. Keep up the good work...It does get easier..I promise...

bfunk13 said:
I have thrown away countless packs of smokes.
Crushed them and said thats it. 4 hours later either buying more or digging them out of the trash.
You are right backwoods, total lifestyle change including exercise. I will do it.

Thanks for the support!
I was with ya can't tell you how many I threw out the window and said Im DONE. Next day back at it. I used the patch and don't laugh Got 5 truck loads of firewood rounds, whenever I wanted one get out the Maul and wack a few rounds. It didn't matter how cold It was or rain but It took my mind off the "craving"
You have to find what works for you . Good Luck it is a tough road . But worth the effort

bfunk13 said:
firefighterjake said:
Still going strong . . . how are you doing physically? Notice any good or bad changes?

I always thought the physical addiction was much stronger than the mental. Maybe 80%-20%
Well, its NOT! By now i should be free of nicotine in my system, breaking the mental part of it is way tougher than i would have ever thought.
I never realized the triggers that go along with smoking, and lighting up without even thinking about it.

I must admit i have been a little "off" on my easy going personality.
I was just a bit "testy" today, a guy i work with smarted off and could have easily got his teeth knocked out. LOL, 10 years ago there is no doubt about it.
Part may have been its day 8 of my shift. 8 12hr. days.
But, i thought of my wife and boys and how i need to support them, so i bit my tongue and walked out.
Also i am 6'4 350 and just a pissed off stare and a few choice words gets the job done.

I would say thats a bad change, on the good side, in my job i gauge oil tanks they are 20' tall and i am usually winded after running up and down.
I have noticed already not being winded and no big deal to gauge a bunch in a row.

Its all good, i am now off for 6 days.
I have no doubt that i have quit for good!

Good for you . . . I know the co-worker who quit said he was reading on-line about the physical and mental changes . . . and so he wasn't surprised when he actually felt pretty crappy for a bit . . . but then afterwards after the gunk worked out of his lungs he was like a changed man . . . more energy, not as winded as easy . . . honestly stopping smoking actually made him physically act and look about 5 years younger after just a short time.

As for being testy . . . no worries . . . what you're doing is tough . . . hopefully folks will cut you some slack.

Thanks guys!
I am still going strong, although yesterday was tough for some reason.
I had a sleep study done last night, ughh. I have mild sleep apnea. I will know more when they go through the results.

14 days, 3 hours, 42 minutes and 14 seconds smoke free.
311 cigarettes not smoked.
$84.70 and 2 days, 9 hours of your life saved.

bfunk13 said:
Great posts here, i appreciate every single one!
Truth is, if it were just me i would probably never quit. I enjoy smoking plus the addiction makes it a real SOB.
These two are my inspiration to quit and start a new lifestyle.

Over $80 saved . . . have you treated yourself and the family to anything special . . . dinner out? New toy/tool?

Congratulations on making it through yesterday. I know you can make it today. I am pulling for you.

Hydrate-hydrate-hydrate. Water is your friend. Helps break down and rinse out the crud that your body is trying to throw off. I think as it circulates through your system, it triggers the craves. I like the concept in one of those links above "Embrace the crave"--it's a sign of progress, and each one that comes is one less you have to work through.

Another technique that might help is to just think ahead a little bit. Ask yourself, "How will I feel tomorrow morning when I wake up and remember that I smoked today?" The satisfaction will have long since passed, the cravings will be stronger, and the disappointment will probably be accute. You could even put a note in your wallet with that question on it. Each time you look in there, you'll get the reinforcement, and each time you see it you'll be reminded that you're saving some serious money here.

That's a gorgeous picture of your family, and the look on your face says that you will do anything to protect and care for them. This is probably the most profound thing that you could do. And even if you haven't inspired anyone else to step forward and make a public commitment here, I bet you've made some people think. Some seeds take awhile to germinate.

Keep up the fabulous work. You'll be so glad you did.

Hello,

Knew you would pull through the rough bumps along the way. Congrats on another smoke-free day! You already know that breathing is easier, but did you check your gums! Your teeth will thank you too..Smokers age their skin quicker. My mother-in-law smoked all her life and had skin like a lizard in her eighties..My mom never did and at 93 the doctors and nurses remarked how stunning her skin was..Most people thought she was in her seventies..

So far we have more money, looking younger, and getting healthy all in one shot! Whoa, just think about that when those cravings hit!! Be good...

Just found this, 10/12/11, three years since my brother passed. Smoking did that, 53 years old. Miss him everyday. Don't do that to your wife and kids, you have way too many adventures ahead.........................
Stay strong

Thanks again for the support!
Sorry for you iron.

I was hoping by now some other smokers here would chime in and join me.
Just the thought of quitting is scary , but if i can do it anyone can. And the support here is awesome and surprising.

15 days, 11 hours, 4 minutes and 8 seconds smoke free.
340 cigarettes not smoked.
$90.75 and 2 days, 14 hours of your life saved.

HELL YEAH!

Nice work there. Two weeks is a big step. Soon you find out how bad smokers and their smoke smells. Then you'll be one of us annoying reformed smokers who can't stand to be around the stink.

You go dude. HELL YEAH indeed. You are going to lick this and kick it down the street!

Flatbedford said:
Nice work there. Two weeks is a big step. Soon you find out how bad smokers and their smoke smells. Then you'll be one of us annoying reformed smokers who can't stand to be around the stink.

Stopped into a business yesterday to pay a bill--had a please-wait-here line, and the woman who came up behind me smelled of smoke. Wasn't smoking, just had that stale-smoke smell stuck all over her. Walked over to stare with fascination at a picture on the wall, as my other option would have been to ask her to step back because she was making me feel queasy from the smell. Yeah, "annoying" would pretty much sum us up.

Lessee: $200 a month times 12x20 years comes to just under $50K in principal. Invest wisely and you'll be able to put your kids through college on what you save on smoking. That's a pretty wild thought, isn't it?

My dad smoked all through my childhood. He eventually quit about 2-3 years ago. I watched him struggle with it and listened to my mom groan about him and the attitude. I can not imagine what it must be like trying to quit. I have a fairly severe reaction to cigarette smoke, headache, choking, burning eyes, upset stomach etc. I can smell it 4 cars back in traffic. So I hope you make it permanently. Best wishes on your fight!

I am 58 years old and started smoking at the end of High School in 1970. By the mid 80's I was smoking way too much and decided to quit. After a few cold turkey attempts (accompanied by sweats and shakes) I tried hypnosis.

I would not have believed it if it hadn't happened to me. I went to a group session in 1986 where about 150 people were hypnotized at once. I have never smoked again, nor even thought about having a cigarette. Every few years I think about having a great cigar, but decided it is the devil's path back to cigarettes. If I live to be 90 I will have my cigar. I have no idea if they are still in busines but I remember the phone number was 1-800-4Habits.

However, my now wife, then girlfriend, was in the same room with me and the hypnosis had no effect. She quit about a month later using the patch.

Good luck.

Great replies!
I already smell smokers even when they are not smoking.
Its really bad! I am so glad i no longer smell that way.
I took my Dad elk hunting today and saw over 150 head. I did a good bit of walking and i can tell the difference in my lungs already.
We passed up 5 bulls we could have had. This is considered a trophy elk area, and we saw the big guys but could not get close.
Was cool to "guide" my Dad instead of him taking me.

16 days, 12 hours, 53 minutes and 21 seconds smoke free.
364 cigarettes not smoked.
$96.80 and 2 days, 18 hours of your life saved.

Your quit date: 9/29/2011 6:00:00 AM

Over 2 weeks and almost a hundred bucks!

Way to go Bfunk..Glad you and Dad spent quality time together. Before you know it, your boys may be joining the hunt too!...Keep going fella...

I know you can do it. I am pulling for you.

I think when you can smell other smokers it's a turning point.

When we smoke, something numbs us to the stench, but when you get far enough away from it, you become one of `us' instead of one of `them', and you wonder how you could have done that. It's a good sign.

Another thing you're doing that is really important is paying attention to the difference that this makes. It's like waking up from a weird dream, and you start seeing life as it really is, and you wonder how you could have lived like that.

Glad you got out of there alive and in time. Good on ya!

Attaboy Bfunk.

Our prison system is a monument to single parenthood - kids need both parents!

+1 on the excersize idea. I would expand this to say that the best way to get rid of any bad habit is to develop a good habit. This is probably why the excersize works well.

But if you already excersize, you can think of some other good habits. Books, wood splitting, prayer, vegetable snacks, gardening, potted plants, wood working, metal working, tidying your work area, scheduling . . . the list is endless.

Hi all, I'm a retired NURSE who started smoking in Nursing School in the late 60's. Do you believe it? I smoked for about 20yrs and it was long before any of the medical aids that are available now. Back then, many staff smoked and patients could even smoke in their beds. It's so hard to believe that now but that's the way it was. The fire company would show up at the hospital 2-3 times a day because someone set off the smoke alarms.

Anyway, I think the topper came when I was taking the blood pressure of an older lady and she looked right at me and said, "You stink". Well, that did it. I confess I tried to stop many times but finally I had to stop and look at when I lit up - first waking up, eating, breaks, partying etc. I had to look at all the triggers that made me light up. I also had look at why I failed - the anxiety of not having that pack of cigs. So, I ALWAYS had a SEALED pack of cigs with me. This just said to me that if I needed them I had them but did I REALLY need them. I also couldn't wean myself off them - I had to do it cold turkey. The first couple of months were hard but I've been clean about 25yrs. Twice in very stressful times in my life (mother & father illnesses) I had one cigarette. Even those two made me feel sick and that was the end of it.

I'm so glad that the world is starting to change in this respect. So many life-threatening illnesses are related to smoking. So for all those attempting to stop - keep on trying and find hope in knowing many others have accomplished it. You are so much stronger than the pull of a cancer stick!

You guys are the best!
I am not kidding how much your replies and stories help.
I am still smoke free. I would have thought by now the cravings would pass.
Still there but i have figured if you fight each one, small battles make it easier. Keep busy is right on.
No worries, i could bum one all day long but i have NOT!

19 days, 14 hours, 23 minutes and 4 seconds smoke free.
431 cigarettes not smoked.
$114.95 and 3 days, 7 hours of your life saved.

Your quit date: 9/29/2011 6:00:00 AM

Status
Not open for further replies.