(OT) any ex smokers out there? How did you kick it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rock on bfunk..been MIA for awhile..just saw your last post on the ''stats'' awesome...Don't let the long cold winters get to ya!

Day 100 and going strong!

100 days, 12 hours, 17 minutes smoke free.
2211 cigarettes not smoked.
$605.00 and 16 days, 21 hours of your life saved.

Hello,

Just crusin' and saw the update. How wonderful for you and the family!..I'm so happy for YOU..Look at all the money saved,not to mention your life! So what are ya going to do with the extra cash?...Maybe a new rod and reel is in order. You deserve it! Looks mighty pretty where your fishin in the new avatar..

Congrats..Take care and keep up the good work.

funny you should ask, I quit 10 years ago this month. I got a really bad case of bronchitis that came on suddenly (I think it was really pneumonia), and couldn't even light up. I decided to try what people who work 12-step programs do, and I just kept postponing the cigarette on hour at a time. After a day, I was surprised that I was not "Jonesing" for a smoke, but I still wanted one. I just keep postponing it, and before long, I had gone several days without smoking. I had previously smoke more than a pack a day.

The most important thing I learned is that it was not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be, and no matter how strong the urge for a puff is, do not give in, it will pass, a lot sooner than you think, too. And stay away from smokey places for a while. Except for your stove, that is. You will never regret it.

Good luck, I'm pulling for ya!

Good news. You have done the hardest part of the work now.

Thanks everyone!
Good for you firebroad, way to go!
Even after day 100 the cravings are there, just not as bad or as often.

The cravings will likely be with you for a long time, but it gets easier to ignore them every day. That nicotine is powerful stuff!

Congrats . . . 100 days is truly commendable.

I used to say to someone, when they tried to quit, was that quitting was easy, I quit several times a year. Then one day, I made up my mind to really quit. That was Feb 1992 and never had another smoke since.
I think it really is a mindset. I found that quitting for "financial" reasons, health reasons, or something similar, wasn't reason enough, I had to want to quit, really want to. I made up my mind to, and that was it.
Now, however, it seems to be a bit easier as you really can't smoke anywhere, other than in your basement, with the lights off, crouching behind your furnace.

"...other than in your basement, with the lights off, crouching behind your furnace"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.