OT: How to cut 60 degree angle with my chop saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
I was building a wood storage rack (so maybe this IS on-topic!) and wanted to cut a 2x4 with 30 and 60 degree angles on each end. But my chop saw will only go from 0 to 45 and all I can cut is the 30. I ended up cutting it by hand.

Make a jig for the saw for the angles but wahooooo what a great reason to buy a radial arm saw .MORE POWER uuh! uuh! uuh!

wahoowad said:
I was building a wood storage rack (so maybe this IS on-topic!) and wanted to cut a 2x4 with 30 and 60 degree angles on each end. But my chop saw will only go from 0 to 45 and all I can cut is the 30. I ended up cutting it by hand.
been there done that then after all the hard work I realized that if for example the first cut you make is the 30* the take the excess of that cut put it against the rip fence (square end) then make the next cut with the saw still at 30* this gives you the 60*. It's easy with 2 bys but a little harder to hold the piece the biger it gets

sweet, GVA. I think I follow that

Status
Not open for further replies.