OT mini splits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

harttj

Dec 16, 2008
Ohio
I know it has been mentioned here a few times that people have mini-split heat pumps and are happy with them.

I have an old 2 story farm house with cast iron radiators. I have a corn/pellet boiler with lp backup. About 7 years ago I had a trane central air unit installed with the air handler in the attic and compressor outside. I think it is a 2 ton unit. I didn't have any ducts go to the first floor as I didn't want to tear the house up and really wanted 2 units to avoid having the upstairs hot in the summer. The unit works good and cools both floors good except for the really hot days and have a small window unit I install and since it works so well haven't been motivated to install ducts in the basement and install another unit.

I would like some cheap/easy heat in the Spring/Fall and additional cooling in the Summer. The mini split heat pumps seem to fit the bill. I think I could get away with 2 air handlers on the wall.

How noisy are the air handlers? Any particular manufactures better than others?

Thanks

Tim

I have two mini splits. They are very quiet and would buy them again in a minute. I do believe mitubishi has the longest warranty on the compressors and I'm told they have fewer problems with them. Just MHO.

Have a Mitsubishi as well and am quite happy with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.