OT-Monitor Oil Burning Space Heater

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is somewhat off topic, feel free to delete.

I need a backup heating system for the woodstove, for those times when we are away for an extended time. We are currently living in our shop while we build the house, hope to move in in about a month. Anyway, we have a Monitor oil burner here, I have been real impressed by how well it works, and how economical it has been, considering that this shop is not real well insulated. I'm planning on moving it into the house and setting it up in the daylight basement.

I'm wondering if anyone else has a Monitor or Toyo heater, and how you like them.

http://www.monitorproducts.com/

Bri

I know a few folks who have them and they love them. Very efficient to say the least but somewhat tempermental in the circuitboard and cleaning department. I have also heard that the most recent ones aren't built nearly as well as the older and that they are often plagued with problems. There is some appliance sales online located in NJ called Al's who has a write up about how the quality has slipped. You can probably find his website if you look for it. He still sells monitors but recommends Toyo's which he also sells. As a backup I imagine it will work quite well for your needs. Just make sure you unplug it like any other appliance with a circuit board during the active lightning months.

They can connect to a tank outside - various size tanks are available. As mentioned in another thread here, they are efficient and the price of fuel is likely to be similar to Pellets in many locales.

At 90% efficency for the monitor vs 75% for pellets or Natural Gas, the numbers all look quite similar in terms of cost per btu. Of course, you have to find a source of Kerosene under $3.00 or so.

I saw the site you mentioned Driz, I was concerned after reading it. I've had mine for 3 years, and haven't done a thing to it. I need to check up on what I should be doing for maintenance. I'm usually pretty good about that. Yes, on the larger one anyway, you have to hook it up to an external oil supply.

Bri

Status
Not open for further replies.