other tree cut a mimosa or coffeetree?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
cant exactly remember here...in this old house propetry ... too ...If the leaves looked like a mimosa or coffee tree? wish I would have taken pictures of all these trees last fall.... ones we questioned about fireplace good burning....
I think I read cofee tree good to burn what about momosa???
Like prev thread dont wanna waste money and gasoline splitting>>> thanks yall
HEY yall does this forum have a spellcheck???? thanks again you all
from
Jean, (way too tired from all this work on this old property)... LOL

I've burned Mimosa already; it burns a little on the fast side and doesn't throw a whole lot of heat, so it's so-so fuelwood but it does burn. Pretty light when it is dry; I'd say if you really need it get it but if you can get better go for it.

Jean, Kentucky coffeetree is in the locust family, if I'm not mistaken. That would probably qualify it as a great firewood. I don't think it is as dense as locust or quite as high in BTU's, but its still a good burning wood, nonetheless. I had two huge coffeetrees to cut over the winter but lost the job to another tree removal crew (long story, I'm still P-O'ed about it).

Not sure about mimosa. I think they are more of a weed-like tree.......

Jean, the forum does not have spell check but if you use Firefox for your browser it has one. Other choice could be to type into a program like Word and then cut and paste.

My mom loved mimosa trees back in the day. My Dad and I cut one big messy one down,split it, stacked it and it dried
in a few weeks lol. it did burn like big weeds, almost hollow or punky. Not good. It did burn though!

Coffee tree. As a coffee addict I had to read this post, as I'm still drinking coffee at 10:30 pm. Bummer, locust family uh? Why is it called coffee tree? Does it smell like coffee? Wow, I'd put that in the smoker if that was the case :)

The pods from the coffeetree are big and leathery and the seeds are rather large. They were roasted and ground to use as a coffee substitute in years past. A lot like chicory was used as a substitute. Not sure how it would taste though.

Coffee tree does have the pods like a honey locust. Can get fairly large as well. Never have burned it. Not a common tree where I'm at & I live in Kentucky! Lol! It's more common near the central bluegrass region of the state.
Know of one growing about a 1/2 mile from my house & it was planted there years ago.

Jean, the forum does not have spell check but if you use Firefox for your browser it has one. Other choice could be to type into a program like Word and then cut and paste.
Thanks I thought I did not see a spell check.. Just now coming back to forum, otherwise would not have mentioned about spell check again LOL
Neded to get out there in the wety ground since can not plant anything ..too wet in this rainy weather and back yard is down hil mostly toward creek and crawlfish holes LOL
Well I least can drag black knot wood to burn barrel......LOL and away from poor apple trees....
Back to purgatory this money pit house....
Thanks
Jean

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Our ground is wet too. I did get one vegetable garden planted but the other one is now just getting to the point where you can walk in most of it and not sink to your knees. Fortunately it quit raining about a week ago and nothing much in sight. Probably we'll go from too wet to too dry in quick order. Seen this happen many times.

Status
Not open for further replies.