Other tree trimmng projects?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bboulier

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2010
NE Virginia
This last month, I have mostly split maple for future firewood. However, yesterday afternoon and today (with good weather), I took time off to engage in other wood pursuits. In particular, I pruned two Asian pears (shinseki and hosui) and lopped some branches off a Japanese maple. The pear trees will yield a little firewood, but the main purpose is to reduce the height of the trees and ease harvesting. My wife worked on the persimmons, and I plan to work on the Bartlett pear and grape vines tomorrow (or Tuesday). How many of you are working in other wood related projects this time of year?

I have a lot of non-native shrubs that I want to clear. i got a machete for Christmas and plan to try it out today. I'll probably end up with a few large brush piles and a little bit of firewood. Autumn Olive seems like good firewood; it is very dense. Most of the shrubs are honeysuckle which doesn't have much wood larger than 2 or 3 inches.

I pruned 3 of my grossly overgrown apple trees over the weekend. They probably hadn't been touched in 10+ years.

Got a good bit of cooking wood out of the deal. Now I have a huge pile of brush to get rid of.

Good time to winter prune apple trees now.

And using the apple wood for cooking is brilliant, there is a real affinity between some woods and some foods :)

This is the time of year for our annual wood cutting. I'll be out there this afternoon sawing away. The apple trees can wait until March.

Status
Not open for further replies.