Other uses for Red Fir blend pellets? Parting out Whitfield advantage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kksalm

Dec 21, 2007
Kenai Alaska
Hi.
My pellet stove is no longer functioning due to the front door being gone. It's a Whitfield Advantage, design # wp2. I'm going to be parting it out. Anyone have any ideas what to do with my extra 10 bags of pellets? I wonder if it's any good for landscaping or should I just toss them in my wood stove?
Thank you for any input. Ken

They actually burn hot enough to cook off of. I use pellets in my charcoal grill. I don't use a basket- Just a piece of chicken wire. Add a little jell starter or hand sanitizer. I try not to cook on them untill the all pellets are glowing. But unlike charcoal. Don't think there is any danger.

I use the so called flavored chips ase well. But there much more expensive. Tried using some left over pellets to make the heat and just a little thin layer of flavored chips on top. I like hickory the best!

As the others said. Cat litter, animal bedding and absorbent. I have also used for traction on ice and snow!.

Or you could be a real nice guy and give or sell them to one of your pellet burning nabors. Why waste them on things that have cheaper products available.

jay

jtakeman said:
They actually burn hot enough to cook off of. I use pellets in my charcoal grill. I don't use a basket- Just a piece of chicken wire. Add a little jell starter or hand sanitizer. I try not to cook on them untill the all pellets are glowing. But unlike charcoal. Don't think there is any danger.

I use the so called flavored chips ase well. But there much more expensive. Tried using some left over pellets to make the heat and just a little thin layer of flavored chips on top. I like hickory the best!

As the others said. Cat litter, animal bedding and absorbent. I have also used for traction on ice and snow!.

Or you could be a real nice guy and give or sell them to one of your pellet burning nabors. Why waste them on things that have cheaper products available.

jay

Jay, what if the pellet manufacturer used some pressure treated or otherwise contaminated wood for the pellets ? I wouldn't worry about burning them for heat but I think you're asking for trouble cooking on them...

cncpro said:
Jay, what if the pellet manufacturer used some pressure treated or otherwise contaminated wood for the pellets ? I wouldn't worry about burning them for heat but I think you're asking for trouble cooking on them...

I was using rocky mountains. The beetle killed pine pellets. I wouldn't use ACP or any other junk pellets. But I see your point!

BTU said:
Or used pallets, and recycled wood waste...not to name any manufacturer by name of course...

BTU, You should if you know for sure there putting that crap in our premium grade pellets!

Jay

Garden Mulch, garden composting adds material to help break up clay and turn sandy soil into soil that will hold more moisture. Not that we need it in Vermont this year. It's pouring all day today. Again.

there is a difference between cooking/smoking pellets and heating pellets and it does have to do with how they are made

Status
Not open for further replies.