Ouch!....Heard it before I felt it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGriz

Ok, I made it until the beginning of February so I guess I'm doing pretty good. I gave myself the first good burn of the season yesterday morning.

I had the insert rolling all morning long and was down to a large, HOT bed of coals. I decided to load up before I left for some sales appointments. Wearing a t-shirt with my welding gloves, I reached in to drop a split E-W in the back; the top of my left forearm hit the very edge of the top of the door opening. I heard it sizzle before I felt anything but a bump from hitting the hot steel. Congratulations Griz, you just branded yourself :grrr:

Let's hear em, who left a mark so far this season....

I've got a nice dime sized circle on the outside of my right elbow. Didn't open the door far enough and when reaching in to reload bumped it with my elbow. Lesson learned, always open the door fully so you don't bump it dummy...

Eric

I've done it 3 times now on the second knuckle of my pointer finger in the past 4 weeks. All 3 of them 1/2 inch long.

Took off all my hair on my hand and knuckles positioning a new split on the fire all because I was too lazy to go out to the garage and get my welding gloves. Needless to say they sit next to the stove now. Lesson learned.

Thanks for this thread! Hopefully it'll prevent me and my hubby from getting branded! :)

Eric said:
I've got a nice dime sized circle on the outside of my right elbow. Didn't open the door far enough and when reaching in to reload bumped it with my elbow. Lesson learned, always open the door fully so you don't bump it dummy...

Eric

I did the same thing. Scab has gone away. That glass quietly sneaks up on ya.

Dang, guys...you need to learn my 'throw it and forget it' technique. Open the doors, toss a log in and let it burn where it lays! no need to reach all the way in the stove.

Corey

Well, all your careers as hand and arm models are over. Unless your're willing to do ads in Modern Welder.

I got a pretty good one on the inside of my wrist. Loading the top loader bumped into the lip of the opening while positioning a log. It was scabbed up for about 2 weeks now its just a scar.

UncleRich said:
Well, all your careers as hand and arm models are over. Unless your're willing to do ads in Modern Welder.

Does this mean that my modeling career in radio is over?!?!?!?!?

MrGriz said:
UncleRich said:

Does this mean that my modeling career in radio is over?!?!?!?!?

Sound's like it!! :cheese: Visual smiley intended.

I have gotten several small burns, mostly on my left hand, on the knuckles on the finger next to the thumb. Was away from fire for 3 weeks, whatever was there healed, have since burned it slightly again, just a tiny burn but hey. Stupid door opens to the right so I tend to put most of the wood in with my left hand. Was inspired by this thread to go out to the garage and get a glove in to wear while putting the wood in. For wood placing purposes I don't see the need for a welding glove. If I just had something to intervene between myself and the hot surface I think that would avoid my small singes. I am however using a cotton glove just in case, don't want anything plastic melting on me . . . As for throwing wood in instead of placing it, maybe you are kidding, but Hearthstone specifically says not to do that, to avoid damaging the stove.

Starter said:
Thanks for this thread! Hopefully it'll prevent me and my hubby from getting branded! :)

No..unfortunately...it won't You'll just know you're not alone.

McGriz...that part of the stove opening on the Osburn needs to be painted white or something. Ya never see it coming till it's too late.

I managed to get my chin in a similar fashion, on the run up to Christmas... it's okay now, the scar lasted around 3-4 weeks...

only a couple small singes this year. but about 28 years ago when I was a teen. we had a really cold winter and the power was out...had been out for a couple days. We had an open fireplace and had it loaded up with wood burning hot. The little firegrate was somehow proped up on a chunk of wood which was burning as well. I can't remember what the heck I was doing reaching under the grate but the chunk of wood gave way and the grate fell on my wrist. I still have a scar from that one. Sizzled , Stunk, Stuck to the grate. good stuff.

I had a moronic moment a couple days ago. Was cleaning some ash out, yes while there was a fiar amount of coals going. "oh a nail in the shovel" I knew it would burn, but I just had to grab it to get it out of the ashes. LOL Burned my index finger & thuumb. Didn't feel so good. But luckily for callouses and thick skin, no blister, more like a couple lil brands. next day, no probelmo ;) Funny how ya know its going to burn ya, yet ya got to try and do it fast, thinking your going to do it fast enough. LOL And always get burnt :)

One good one on the back of my hand, a few assorteds on the wrists. I should wear gloves but I almost never do when loading the stove. (I do when moving splits from the woodpile to the cart, or from the cart to the leftover stack by the stove) I find splinters are a bigger nusiance than burns.

Gooserider

I was getting way too many to count---the worst below the knuckle on my right thumb---didn't feel that either----think it cauterized all the nerves instantaneously. Smelled really bad and is definitely weird seeing smoke coming off off your skin. Finally got gloves and could kiss whoever invented those things. Now I don't even crack the door without them on and both I and the stove are working alot better.

I just picked up a log tongs.
Do not recall the brand but it was about $13 and not the scissors kind but is a pipe with two fixed fingers coming out the bottom and a single clamp on top. The clamp is activated by a wire running up inside the pipe to the handle.
Handle could be about a foot longer and everything could be one or two gages thicker but it sure is better then sticking your hand in the box to position a stick.

Now loading the stove reminds me of working in a foundry.

Status
Not open for further replies.