Ouch ...! they hurt.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JOHN BOY

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2012
Western Mountains ,NC
Well today i was out cutting on probably the best score ive ever had :cool: , a 100 acre plus boyscout reservation. 20 plus trees down ranging from red to white oak , sourwood soft and hard maples.
was into a red oak and had'nt noticed i was standing right on top a yellow jackets nest. :oops:
was stung at least 7-8 times. They were all over my pants and shoes,amazing how they were trying to bite and sting me right thru my pants. Took some meds and seem to be fine. welted me up in a few area's ....wow ! they are nasty lil bee's.

Abought the only thing i complain about in the fall is those little yellow buggers John..:p

loon

I can take everthing but bees, Hope they didn't get you too bad

Glad you got out ok. Could have been loads worse, or allergic. Sweet deal with the reservation. How much wood can you get?

Glad you got out ok. Could have been loads worse, or allergic. Sweet deal with the reservation. How much wood can you get?

So far me and a bud have pulled about 5 chords between us. The o'le guy that runs the place said we could take all we wanted that was standing dead,half dead, leaners and anything that was laying on the ground. There's about 10-12 , 20-24 inch diameter oaks down. All types of the species.
Some sourwoods,soft and hard maples. Some have been down to long to use. But not many.

Epi Pen needs to be always handy.

Well worth the investment. You never know when it's gonna go bad (stings).

Good luck with your haul !!

OUCH! Glad to hear you are alright.

Same thing happened to me last fall. A standing dead tree fell out back and when I went to buck it I must have cut right through a nest. Ran all over the yeard and wife and MIL were swatting them off me with brooms. 5 stings I think...

Reactions: ScotO
That sucks, John! We got into a similar situation at a jobsite last summer, where we were cutting down a couple black locusts. It had starting pouring but my buddy was already up in the one tree to cut the top out so he went ahead and cut it, when the butt of that top landed I went over to start bucking it up. Damm thing landed right on a BIG yellow jacket nest in the ground. I got nailed 7 times, my poor buddy was trying to get down out of that tree and he got nailed worse! I ran up through the yard trying to rip my shirt off they were up under my armpits ....in my hair...the whole while we were soaking wet......

I cant stand those little bastiges....

My dad cut into a hollow stump right by the lake with a big hornets nest inside. Good thing he was right by the lake!
Did you start a thread in the Wood Shed re your woodlot cull yet? Pics or it didn't happen! :p

Ouch!

One time we had a tree we needed to cut but could not get to it in winter so we decided come August, when the area was dry, we'd go cut it. Hate cutting in summer but this needed to come down. Sure enough, I stepped in the wrong place and they were all over me. Grabbed my shirt and kept swinging it around and they finally left but I had over 20 stings. Worst was when 3 were in my ear and wouldn't come out. I was a hurting puppy for sure.

Funny part though was that the saw was acting up and I could not seem to get it to idle. When they hit me I just dropped the saw. That sucker ran like a top and just sat there idling. Figured I'd have to just let it run dry but did finally manage to get it without upsetting the yellow jackets. The tree stayed put.

Got into them a few years ago.
One got me on the lip.

Nasty buggers!
They went somewhere after the first heavy frost. :)

My Brother got into a nest of them and got stung pretty badly a couple of weeks ago. Went back out that night to try and locate the nest and they found him first...he said he will wait till cool weather to hunt for them...ha When the temps dropped this week he got even....

Me and the kids got lit up a few weeks ago.

I got 6 stings, the 2 yo got one on the lip, and the 7yo got 4 or 5. He's still pretty traumatized about bees.

I'm mildly allergic and they hurt for 2-3 days and then itched like a mother for another week.

Mine wasn't even in the woods. Ten years ago I had a grill on in the breezeway I didn't use for a year or two. Walked out there one day and opened it. All over me head to foot stings through the clothes and every thing. Never knew I knew how to scream. !!!

After three nights of sneaking out there and spraying into the air inlet I opened it and they had covered the whole grill with a nest.

Status
Not open for further replies.