Our first backpuff

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprinter

Minister of Fire
Jul 1, 2012
SW Washington
I thought I'd share this because there may be others new to stove burning and unaware of this problem, and it may be mysterious and troubling and especially likely in this warmer shoulder season.

This morning, my wife notified me that a puff of smoke came out of the stovepipe at the collar, accompanied by a "poof" sound. I was sleeping in so I didn't witness it, but thanks to this forum and it's members, I knew exactly what it was. This morning it was in the low 50's out and about 65 inside, so not much temperature difference. She had just turned the damper down and was looking at the "afterburner" (her term and I like it;) ) when it poofed. Of course, it was alarming to her at the time. I noticed that the glass was darkening a bit, too.

Anyway, it sounds like a classic setup for backpuffing and we talked about what causes it and how to prevent it, like not turning the damper down too soon or too fast. Lots of good threads here on backpuffing so I won't go any further, but I thought it was worth mentioning, especially in warmish weather.

Reactions: pen
And other times if you don't see it but suddenly smell smoke, that could very well be from a back puff. Scary for those who never heard of it.

Sometimes you here BANG and wet yourself then realize it was a gas pocket. They can have enough force to push air out the intake and smell it up a bit too.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.