Our First Snow!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prada

Nov 8, 2008
Ohio
We had flurries all day yesterday and the fire was REALLY feeling good but when we woke up this morning .......the scene was awesome. This is what it's all about out back of our family room windows this morning.

11-17-08FirstSnow2.jpg

11-17-08FirstSnowDeer.jpg

Very nice photos!

You have a visitor. Actually, from a similar experience, I would say that he is one of many, many visitors.

I call Photo - chop! ahahah. Looks great Prada! We had our first fire yesterday...bring it on winter! :)

I live in central Pa and we got snow all day yesterday. I hope for it in 2 weeks . The first day of Pa deer season. Nice buck in the yard will he be there when your season opens and REMAIN there after that morning or move to your freezer. There is something about snow, a nice buck, and a woodstove that brings out the good feelings.

Heat and dinner SWeeeT!

Those deer be eating your wood ?

:)

Great pics . . . especially with the one with the deer inspecting your woodshed.

I saw some flurries here in Maine the other day . . . but nothing more than a few flurries in the wind . . . but I am most definitely looking forward to seeing some more snow here soon.

Yep it kind of really surprised us when we woke up and saw that much snow for the first time this season. I've talked with many other people today that live all around Ohio and all of them are telling me they just got a dusting. The snow must have just wanted to be here is all I can say. lol

There are at least 5 or 6 bucks here that are a nervous wreck over the females. They are in rut and making idiots of theirselfs lol
A couple of them were REALLY squaring off yesterday afternoon and the other 2 or 3 males were kind of circling them like they were all going to take turns in the fight to be the winner! They do this right outside our big family room windows and at times it can get a little spooky wondering if one might notice their reflection and come charging right on in!
:bug:

Prada,

Nice pics. The first snow fall always looks nice, but I get sick of it quickly. We've had 2 back-to-back winters with more snow than normal and I'm hoping we get a break this year. I don't want to go up on my roof again to shovel off snow--had to twice last winter. Last year by this time, we we had our first snow fall of more than 6 inches. Even though our valley floor got pummeled by record snow falls last year, I was glad that I don't live on or at the base of some of the nearby mountains that got between 20-30 ft of snow. Avalanche watches remained in place most of the winter because of unstable snow packs.

It's funny that you mention the Deer seeing their reflection. We get a lot of wild Turkeys outside our dining room window in the winter and we purposely put a mirror up so they can see their reflection. It's hillarious to see the head tom's reaction when he sees himself.

We were getting flurries here today, but nothing stuck. We're like right near the line of planting zones 5 and 6 and it's weird how we can go for most of the winter without snow, but drive 50 miles north to Dayton and the ground will be covered most of the time.
I have a funny feeling about this winter though, we're way overdue for a bad one.

We got a few inches of snow. I don't mind the snow but the cold temps... been keeping the fire going lately. Supposed to go down to -15C tonight.

When we first built our house the wife thought the deer were cute. She even went out and bought them a feeder and salt lick. Then she realized the cute deer eat all her shrubs. Now they are the damn deer and she puts the dog on them! You cannot utter the two words "go see" around here without the dog going into attack mode.

Here is a pic she took through the window screen of the "cute deer".

Attachments

• photo106 (Medium).jpg
    photo106 (Medium).jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 309
That's like a button buck from what I've heard in Ohio. Hear they grow 'em big.
Nice buck, if you have a few does, let him walk, hope that everyone else does as well and you'll have a few more next year.
Chad

InTheRockies: Holly Cow! Are you for real about the 20 to 30 foot snows!?! I can't imagine something like that. Oh don't get me wrong.....we have some serious snow some winters but nothing like that. That just sounds amazing to me! It HAS to be beautiful no matter what. If you can get a chance I would love to see some pictures of it all.

Lees Wood: 20" on the ground in the last 2 to 3 days! Where the heck are you?

Woodford: We have a lot of wild turkey too and that sounds like a riot to watch the Toms see their reflections. Soon as I would try a trick like that with a mirror, a big ol Buck would come right on in! haha
I know what your saying about it's about time for a bad winter. We have escaped real bad ones too for the last 2 or 3 years.....makes me nervous. I just hate ice covered roads. That's my biggest fear being that I had to be cut out of my car one winter on one of them.

LLigetfa: I sooooooo understand your wife! lol I love to look at them but darn it, I can't keep them out of my garden no matter what I do! I think they were worse about eating everything I grew this year than ever before! That's so funny about your dog. lol We lost ours after 16 years last year and I CAN relate. We sure do miss him too. He would run them for all they were worth! lol Nice Pic by the way.

Chad: We have TONS of deer here. Way too many to be truthful with ya. We have to watch for them around every corner while driving. lol Sure hope we don't have a few more next year. hehe

Prada,
Send me in for a out of state and I'd be happy to help out.
Have another buddy who goes to PA every year and he shows me pics of HUGE bucks. As I'd like to see a majestic one on the wall, another friend still swears by large dogs (by size) for the best eating. Less may be more. I'm a bit on the fence for the elders, I tend to let them walk. They've given their time. Don't need them on the wall and can always get some freezer meat anyway.
Chad

As a side, and a rememberance (sp), I saw a very big doe in the woods today that had a broken rear femur fully exposed dead on the side of the trail. She was def. hit. Felt bad for her, she had led a good long life and nothing will be gotten out of her.

Prada said:
We had flurries all day yesterday and the fire was REALLY feeling good but when we woke up this morning .......the scene was awesome. This is what it's all about out back of our family room windows this morning.

11-17-08FirstSnow2.jpg

11-17-08FirstSnowDeer.jpg

Real nice pics! Hubby got the shelter built just in time too.. The deer looks tasty too :)

Ray

LEES WOOD-CO said:
We have 20" on the ground here in the last 2-3 days. SUCKS!

20 inches???!!! Man it sux to be you!! LOL

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.