Our first snowflakes of the season....4 inches of them.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
On 11/9/11 we got 4 inches of wet snow and high winds, our first snow. Knocked our power out for 8 hours. Then yesterday we got another half inch or so and the power was out again for most of the morning, I think the electric company was improving their temporary repairs from the night before. Even with the temps in the 20s and the wind howling, the old woodstove kept us nice and toasty in the dark!

Here is a short video during the height of the storm:

Snowflakes:
IMG_0249%2520%25281024x683%2529-720180.jpg

My snowy backyard:
IMG_0257%2520%2528683x1024%2529-721073.jpg

The trail leading from the backyard to the woods and beyond:
IMG_0258%2520%25281024x683%2529-723522.jpg

Our last bit of Fall color:
IMG_0266%2520%2528683x1024%2529-724500.jpg

Yup, more snowflakes! It was really coming down for most of the day:
IMG_0275%2520%25281024x683%2529-796637.jpg

One of the local potato farms was hauling potatoes all day. Not a good day to do it:
IMG_0277%2520%25281024x683%2529-797469.jpg

My clothesline. I didn't hang the laundry outside, needless to say. All the power lines looked even worse than this, which is why our power went out:
IMG_0291%2520%25281024x683%2529-798254.jpg

Today there was still a little snow that hadn't melted yet, but it was going almost as fast as Snoopy was on our walk:
IMG_0321%2520%25281024x683%2529-724605.jpg

P.S.
We finally got high speed fiber optic Internet way out here in the woods! WHOO HOO!

Cool, Super high speed
Gonna make you dangerous now. :)
Took me a minute to load up all your pics.
1s snow is normally a real mess. Our 1st was late & on a cold day, dry & fluffy, the wind got rid of in a few hours.
Nice pics.

Do they normally run harvest this late for taters? I grew up in Maine and worked for farmers when I was in school. We had everything in the potato houses by first week or two of Oct at the very latest.

[quote author="quads" date="1321078924"]On 11/9/11 we got 4 inches of wet snow and high winds, our first snow. Knocked our power out for 8 hours. Then yesterday we got another half inch or so and the power was out again for most of the morning, I think the electric company was improving their temporary repairs from the night before. Even with the temps in the 20s and the wind howling, the old woodstove kept us nice and toasty in the dark!

Quads, nice pictures of some nasty weather. Just make sure you keep that out there.

zap

Thanks!

Sorry so many pics AND a video, I normally don't post that many at one time, but I got a bit overly-excited now that it's so easy to do! HA! I've had dial up Internet since 1996 (started out at 33.6K) and up until a month ago when they hooked us up to the new fiber, I had never even see anything but dial-up. Very cool! Sort of makes the Internet seem new all over again because I can watch movies and look at pictures without any delay and do many other things that I never even attempted before with dial-up.

About the potatoes, I think they were just hauling them from sheds on one farm to sheds on another farm for processing, packaging, and/or loading into semis. I'm pretty sure they've got them all dug now.

Quads, you are a great photographer. Your pictures are always great! You have a good eye.

Dogs and snow . . . a match made in heaven.

Was the wind howling so much the splitter wouldn't stand up?!? :)

Thanks guys!

And yes, that Beagle loves the snow. Actually, she loves everything. Bring her in the house from a walk, 10 minutes later I find her standing by her leash wondering if she can go again! The old yellow lab, Goldie, now over 15 years old, loves to walk too. She isn't so steady on her feet anymore though and sometimes falls over, especially in the snow, but she still loves her walks.

nice pics.! We just got 8 inches of powder dumped on us this morning, with another system supposedly bringing in more snow overnight tonight...

Mt Ski Bum said:
nice pics.! We just got 8 inches of powder dumped on us this morning, with another system supposedly bringing in more snow overnight tonight...
I heard a rumor that you guys might get A LOT of snow with the next storm. Rain here forecast for tomorrow.

quads said:
Mt Ski Bum said:
I heard a rumor that you guys might get A LOT of snow with the next storm. Rain here forecast for tomorrow.

Well, I welcome any & all snow up here with open arms. The more snow, the better the skiing. ;-)

I like snow too, even though deep snow gives me problems when working in the woods.

Good pictures quads and thanks for posting. Now that you have the high speed Internet we'll be waiting for more pictures. I also can relate to your feelings on the difference from dial-up as we got the high speed just a few years ago and the difference is amazing. Enjoy.

Thanks Dennis!

Cool pics quads. Thanks. I hope the snow doesn't come here for another couple of weeks. Got to find time to get the rest of the wood c/s/s for next year.

Snow is all gone today. It shouldn't be back for at least a couple weeks.....!

Stax said:
Quads always has the best pics!

+1 . . . I was thinking the same thing . . . I always enjoy looking at his pics whether wood, weather or whatever . . . they're always framed nice and beautiful images.

firefighterjake said:
Stax said:
Quads always has the best pics!

+1 . . . I was thinking the same thing . . . I always enjoy looking at his pics whether wood, weather or whatever . . . they're always framed nice and beautiful images.
Aw shucks.......Thanks! Two weeks from today and most of the hunting seasons will be over, then I will be back out in the woods, making more firewood. Right now the wood sales have been picking up so I need to stick close to home, and I've had more 'computer' time in between customers to share pics again.

Status
Not open for further replies.