Our visit to Woodstock Soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BandSawyer

Jan 27, 2009
NH
My wife and I took a trip up to Lebanon yesterday to visit Woodstock Soapstone. For us it was just under a 2 hour trip. We went with the intention of looking at the stoves and learning what we could. We thought we might purchase but we were not sure about that.
When we walked in Mike met us and we started talking about wood stoves. Mike was easy to talk with and very knowledgable about the products he was selling but also about woodstoves in general. He showed us all there was learn about the Woodstock line especially the Fireview in which we were particularly interested. He was patient enough to answer all our questions and after talking with him we felt a Woodstock would work in our home if we wanted to do that.
He then took us out into the factory and we got to see how the stoves were assembled. The factory was well organized and clean. The workers we met were friendly too. I was impressed by the simplicity of the stoves and how they went together. They are a good design.
In the line of partially assembled stoves there was one that had truly beautiful soapstones. All the panels were marbled and it really caught our eye. In the end my wife and I decided that stove was exceptional and Mike put our name on it. In May when mud season is over we will take another ride up there to pick up our completed stove. It will be an attractive woodburner in our living room.
I must say our visit was positive. Thanks to Mike for spending 2 hours with us it was a good experience.

After our visit we had a great lunch at 7 Barrel Brewery. We even took a bottle of beer home with us.

Bandsawyer, Mike has to be one of the best guys up there. I hope to meet him sometime as I've spoken to him several times on the phone.

Glad you got to go for a visit and was able to pick out the exact stove you wanted! You will not be disappointed! That is one fantastic stove. With ours, we use much less wood than with our previous stove and stay much warmer.

I wish I was closer so I could take the tour. Maybe some day I'll take a road trip and pick up Dennis on the way. ;-)

Can't wait to see it installed. How fortunate you were to be able to choose a stove with special stone like that.

I have a secret desire to replace the heritage with a fireview someday. Or maybe a blaze king. Turns out I live fairly close to the blaze king factory.

Todd said:
I wish I was closer so I could take the tour. Maybe some day I'll take a road trip and pick up Dennis on the way. ;-)
You guys come and I'll meet you there!

Todd said:

Just give me a call Todd! Then we'll meet up with jpl1nh, tour the factory and con Mike into taking us to see the 7 Barrel Brewery. Sounds like everybody would win there!

Gee I am gone for a while and you guys have a great road trip planned. I'd would definitely meet you guys up there.
And after the visit the IPA and Brown Ale will be waiting for us at 7 Barrel.

I was definitely fortunate to pick out the stove I wanted. The stones on it were really great looking. I'll have to post pictures when I get in during May.

I had not mentioned but we stopped at the road side rest area on route 89 about 15-20 miles from Lebanon. It was a rather new building and when we walked inside there was a Woodstock Keystone keeping the place nice and warm. There was quite a view out the windows too.

Road trip?!? All right! Maybe Todd can pick us all up on the way!!

mikeh said:
You guys rent a bus and you buy ME lunch. :gulp: We would love to have you all. Maybe Dennis can pick you all up with side car attached to his bike. Hope to see you soon, one by one.

Mike

Mike, that bike would need a whole new engine to pull a side car. lol

Good to see you on the forum. I hope you can help a few on here as that is why most of us are on this forum. But maybe you can chime in on some of the more technical things.

Gee, I just rented a motor home for June, but we'll pick it up in San Francisco. That is a long ways from Woodstock! But the way this think is building, we might end up renting a bus!

It sounds like a carbon copy of my visit. We spoke with Mike for hours. We picked a stove. And we went to the 7 Barrel brewery. Congrats!!!

KOOL!!!! we got another Mike H that builds stoves??!!!!!

Welcome to the hearth! glad as always to see another manufacturer onboard. wouldnt mind checking out the factory myself , though i dont get up that way very much. love your stoves!

Hey Mike! Welcome. Hope we don't embarass you too bad with our ongoing raves over our Woodstock stoves! LOL

Hi to the other Mike H, I will chime in when I can. Still rather busy here so don't always have a chance to check the forum right away. If you are ever in the area, please stop by. Jpl, keep the praises coming. You would not believe how many orders are placed by Hearthnet visitors. Most folks really do their research. All of us in customer service really appreciate all of you regulars comments. Mike H, NH.

Good to hear from a Woodstock rep, hope you find the time to hang out with us wood stove geeks. Maybe you could give us a more in depth look into the Fireview's new cat/non-cat hybrid upgrade? Many people here including me are very interested in different methods of combustion and achieving max efficiency.

My wife and I made the trip to Woodstock from Providence, RI on Saturday. I was 99% sure we were going to purchase a Fireview but I'm a skeptic by nature and wanted to see what all the "company hype" was all about. I also wanted to see the stove first-hand before dropping some serious coin. Hands down one of the best companies I've encountered...if not the best. I'm not exaggerating. Friendly, knowledgeable, patient, non-pushy...the list goes on and on. I honestly can't remember the last time I had such a positive experience parting with my money. If you can make the trip, I highly recommend touring the factory and talking to any of the great reps there. You'll find it fun, educational and it will put any doubts you may have had to rest. Bring your checkbook...you will buy a stove. If you can't make the trip, rest assured that all the praises that have been sung about Woodstock are true and it was my experience that they will do what it takes to make you happy.

Ted. E. Bear

Disclaimer: They let my dog run freely through the showroom and factory. Big points awarded for this, however, it did not influence my opinion...much. :)

Yes Rob, he did buy.

Oh, I bought all right. You couldn't have dragged me out of there without purchasing one of these beauties. Should I be this exited about getting a stove?

Many years ago Tom (woodstock owner) invited me up to stay a night at his old house....in Woodstock, VT (I think that is where the name came from).....

True to form, he had a fireview at home which was burning wood full time and heating the entire place. A true believer, one might say.

Interestingly enough, I had a long history with Woodstock stoves.......Tom and I were involved in a sad situation when I owned Upland Stoves.....the owner of a foundry in Pennsylvania was "holding us up" by claiming OUR patterns belonged to HIM, and raising prices through the roof. I think I sued the guy........and we made some kind of settlement, but then I sold Upland. Tom and I would "get mad together" for years whenever we met, and we still talk about it.

Tom, though, decided to get even instead of getting mad and ended up making new patterns, getting new suppliers and now that foundry (same owner) WISHES he could get Woodstock business....but I am certain that will not happen.

I also sold Woodstock Stoves in my old store - there was a time when they did sell though some select dealers. However, that did not work out as well as things do now because the quality of dealers varies so much......and the Woodstock Story is not something that dealers were good at telling.

Thanks for the history lesson Craig. Interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.