Out door forced air furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Byrond

Apr 3, 2013
Pumpkintown SC
I currently have a wood burning insert . I live in a log(square timbers) cabin originally built in 1873. The house originally had 2 hvac units and the duct work is still in place.

I have been looking at adding a forced air wood furnace. Possibly a vogelzang 2500 or the us stove equivalent. It would have to be instAlled outside in a building which is in place. The reason for this is my 3 yr old has asthma and my misses thinks thi will be better in the long run as opposed to inside. I have access to the duct work (insulated) that was used for a metal building. My question is simply how well these type Of units heat? Also, the reason for not installing a boiler type is the fact that the house and property is owned by my siblings as well and they want to sell it and we may be moving and would take the furnace with me. Sorry for the long post

I have a vogelzang 2500 in my basement. While it heats my 1600 sq ft house nicely i wouldnt recommend it nor would i buy another one. Goes thru a ton of wood, burns dirty, hard to regulate/control. I'd buy a Drolet Tundra furnace if i had it to do all over again. Same price or a little bit more expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Are you talking about installing a forced air furnace in a detatched building that is some distance away from your cabin? I would highly suggest that you reconsider and start looking into boiler options. Depending on how far you have to move the air, the fan losses (not to mention heat losses) are going to be enormous. Not to mention the fact that without adding a larger or supplemental fan, you probably won't be able to move enough air to do the job.

The detached building is about 8 feet from the cabin. Both of the vents for the down stairs are on the exterior wall. The return duct is a little further away. My plan is to bypass the duct work all together and just use the registers. The upstairs portion of the cabin stays above 69 most days with just the wood insert. The cabin is only 1000 sqft. Not sure if that info changes anything

I too am looking at outdoor forced air wood units, Mainly those from Fire Chief/Shelter and Hopsco.
Menards has the smaller Shelter outdoor unit on sale now, it's made by the same parent company as Fire Chief.

Status
Not open for further replies.