Out of commission for a couple weeks...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryBoy19

Minister of Fire
Jul 29, 2010
Southern IN
Well, I had planned on a really productive weekend. I had hoped to get all the rest of my wood split.

Got home last night and loaded the truck with wood to bring to the house then decided to split some of the honey locust while I was out by the wood. Had a stubborn piece that I didn't want to heft back down off the block so I walked to the house to get the saw to noodle it in half then split. Started the saw up by the house and walked down to the wood. When I got near the pile a went to slide the bar cover off. I thought the chain break was engaged but I guess not. When my makita is cold it runs a little fast, and just as I got the bar cover to the end of the chain the fast running engine rolled the chain alittle. The razor sharp cutters caught my glove and "sucked" my hand around the nose of the bar. I immediately hit the kill switch and untangled my glove/hand from the cutters. I looked at my hand and went inside.

At the time my wife had a friend over who is an EMT; she took a look at it and said it's going to need stitches. I knew it would. We headed to the hospital. As soon as they heard chainsaw they rushed me in; I assured them that it wasn't that bad. But apparently they have a protocol for chainsaw injuries no matter the severity. Really it's nothing major, just 3 small cuts from 3 cutters. The longest cut measured 7 cm, but 4 cm of that was just a minor scrape/cut that didn't require stitches. The shortest cut is only 1 cm, but that one was deeper.

I think the thing that made it bad was that my gloves were too thin to offer any real protection since they were my splitting/wood handling gloves. But there was enough material there to draw my hand deeper into the chain.

All in all it turned out ok. If I'm going to have any sort of chainsaw injury this would be it. 8 stitches total in 3 different cuts.

Lessons learned: don't assume that the brake is engaged. I had gotten a little lax about safety around idling saws and got bit by it. Even if the saw is just idling stuff can still happen.

This incident was far from major, but it will set me back on my wood splitting and other projects around the house.

ETA, no deep injuries etc. This was just a skin injury, thank goodness.

Wow, glad your able to talk about it!

smokinjay said:
Yeah, I'm pretty lucky... the worst part is that one cut is right near the joint of my index finger so they want it to stay immobilized, so it's all balled up. I can only type with one finger on my right hand.

ETA it's also good that it was my right hand; I'm a lefty.

[quote author="CountryBoy19" date="1296248190"]Well, I had planned on a really productive weekend. I had hoped to get all the rest of my wood split.

CountryBoy19 glad everything was minor, have a good rest.

Zap

I spent >15 yrs working in hospitals. I constantly consider the injury factor when doing anything. One little activity like driving to the gas station to get $10 in gas could be your last. Everything has a risk!

CountryBoy19, I am happy for you that it is not worse! No doubt it will be a bit sore for a while but will heal. Lesson learned!

On the other hand, why do you start the saw with the bar cover still on? This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone doing that. When I get the saw out of the case, I also remove the bar cover, stick it in the case and then close and latch the case. Then I think about starting the saw. It never even occurred to me to not remove the cover.

Reading your story and before I knew the outcome I got chills as soon as you mention chainsaw based on the thread title. Hope all mends well for you.
Sometimes I think my newness to chainsaws and firewood cutting works in my favor as I double check everything...slows me down a bit is all. I hope after my comfort level rises with my saw my caution level still stays the same!

Sorry you were hurt, good to hear that it wasn't major. Hope you heal fast.
I am gonna remember to say "chainsaw" if I am ever at the ER again for faster service no matter what brings me there.

muncybob said:
Reading your story and before I knew the outcome I got chills as soon as you mention chainsaw based on the thread title. Hope all mends well for you.
Sometimes I think my newness to chainsaws and firewood cutting works in my favor as I double check everything...slows me down a bit is all. I hope after my comfort level rises with my saw my caution level still stays the same!

Some great words of wisdom there! I compare it a little to my attitude on climbing trees. I do it and am somewhat comfortable with it but if I ever stop being very careful every time I go up or down....I think that might be the time to quit climbing trees. It always pays to be careful.

Thanks for posting; we can all use a reminder.

Glad it wasn't worse!

Hope it heals up nicely for you.

My job involves the use of a firearm. I follow a strick protocol and have great respect for the weapon.

In the same fashion - I also respect any piece of equipment that can cause bodily harm to me.

I am always so conscious of the chain and bar and I would never run it with the bar cover on or touch it while the saw was running. I don't rely on the saftey on a weapon and I don't trust a chain brake. Mind the bar. I always keep the bar and chain (down range). Treat it like the end of a gun. You always want it facing away. Heck - even when it's not running - those cutters will get ya!.

Good thing you had others there for help too.

Backwoods Savage said:
CountryBoy19, I am happy for you that it is not worse! No doubt it will be a bit sore for a while but will heal. Lesson learned!

On the other hand, why do you start the saw with the bar cover still on? This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone doing that. When I get the saw out of the case, I also remove the bar cover, stick it in the case and then close and latch the case. Then I think about starting the saw. It never even occurred to me to not remove the cover.
Well, with the makita it will start on idle so there is no concern of ripping the bar cover up or throwing it off when you start it. So since I started the saw at the house to let it warm up I decided to leave the cover on while I walked down the hill to the wood.

I guess it's just as broad as it is long. I could have taken the bar cover off and then taken the risk of falling down the hill with the saw and been injured too.

I think the major point where I screwed up is when I "thought" I had engaged the chain brake. Had the brake really been engaged we wouldn't be having the discussion no matter if the saw was running or not.

Oh well .... lesson learned, no major damage done, just enough to put me out of commission for a while. I hope to be splitting again in a few weeks.

BTW, I just remembered while at the hospital the nurse mentioned that her husband needed to go cut more wood because they were almost out. I almost took that opportunity to tell her all about letting your wood properly season but I didn't want any hurt feelings or to get in an argument in the ER ... it just wasn't the right time or place.

CountryBoy19 said:
smokinjay said:
Yeah, I'm pretty lucky... the worst part is that one cut is right near the joint of my index finger so they want it to stay immobilized, so it's all balled up. I can only type with one finger on my right hand.

that is good... think of all the things you couldn't do.....
glad you are ok dude!

-PB- said:
CountryBoy19 said:
smokinjay said:

that is good... think of all the things you couldn't do.....
glad you are ok dude!
Or even all the ways a chainsaw injury could be worse. I don't think a person could manage to get any more minor of an injury than this from a running saw. Heck, I've seen injuries worse than this from non-running saws. The good lord was looking out for me, that's for sure.

I'm almost completely through the first season of Axe Men on netflix :) All in one day!

I never touch the chain with hand or file when the saw is running . . . regardless of whether there is a chain break engaged. Guess it's just something I learned growing up . . .

Thanks for the post.
Gives us all a good reminder & it happens real fast.

Glad you'll still be ale to "high five"

Glad it is not more serious. LESSON TO BE LEARNED: Take the chain guard off the bar BEFORE you start the saw.

I think walking with a running saw, brake set, bar covered, or not is not a good idea. If you want to let it run a bit, set the brake and put it on the ground somewhere where it won't walk away on you. Walking any distance with a running cutting tool is never a good idea.

Glad you are OK man. You are lucky and a few weeks rest will be a good reminder the next time you pick up that saw. I myself always had a fear of a chainsaw, but felt that this fear made me extra careful. I split wood for a mill owner in the summer during high school. One day my friend Nick and I were bucking some large 10-12'ers into 18" rounds. Nick was cutting the base of the tree with a 066 3' bar. Upon making a 1' cut into the log, Nick took his upper arm off the top of the saw to wipe the sweat off his face while cutting. BAD...BAD move as the saw hit a large spike and kicked back hitting Nick in the face right in the middle of his face. Forehead, nose, and lips were cut. I ripped my shirt off and tied it around his head. He was picked up by the Northstar medivac and flown to the nearest trauma center. 10 days in the hospital and major reconstructive surgery. It is amazing what they can do.....AMAZING!!!!! Nick has some war wounds, but considering the severity of that wound, one would think the scars would be worse.

I did not mean to gross anyone out, and apologise if I did so. I myself don't have many fears, but when it comes to chainsaws my fear makes me even take extra precautions. Heck...when I was going for my hunter safety course at the age of 10 years old, the instructor took a gallon plastic jug out to the range. Man this dude was thirsty I said...little did I know what his intentions were. Upon arriving at the range he set the jug down twenty feet in front of us. With one shell loaded he turned around and shot the jug with #6 high brass. Wholly sh!t I said when he shot that jug. That lesson stuck in my head still to this day. Kinda like the chainsaw....they both can inflice major injury or death if not treated with respect.

I own two saws and use my fear to my advantage as I am extra careful. I love cutting wood.

OK....enough with my rant.

Be safe and think.

Flatbedford said:
I think walking with a running saw, brake set, bar covered, or not is not a good idea. If you want to let it run a bit, set the brake and put it on the ground somewhere where it won't walk away on you. Walking any distance with a running cutting tool is never a good idea.

Just curious but how would walking with a running saw with the brake set be any different than with the saw turned off? The chain is still "dead" as long as the brake is actually set. Just my $0.02

CountryBoy19 said:
Flatbedford said:

Just curious but how would walking with a running saw with the brake set be any different than with the saw turned off? The chain is still "dead" as long as the brake is actually set. Just my $0.02

None if it was set. Glad your all right and bet it never happens again.

Chain Saws and Table Saws DO NOT have a conscience, and will eat just about anything you feed them.

rottiman said:
Chain Saws and Table Saws DO NOT have a conscience, and will eat just about anything you feed them.

My Dad's table saw's will spit it back out like a rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.