out of ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a good suggestion. I never wait until the stove top is at a set temp, and certainly not as high as 600F! 400F is much safer. Actually, from a cold start I have started dropping the air control when the stove top is as low as 250F. It takes time to get the outside steel hot, while it could already be very hot in the firebox.

vasten, it sounds like part of your problem is the house is losing heat rapidly. That is where I'd focus attention. Fixing heat loss will pay back a lot faster than replacing the stove.

Reactions: corey21
I get that the house is losing heat but what i don't get is why the stove fluctuates so much
From either running away or acting as if the air damper is not influencing the burn rates

I get that the house is losing heat but what i don't get is why the stove fluctuates so much
From either running away or acting as if the air damper is not influencing the burn rates
Have you tried cutting the air back sooner?

Edit. you really need to give that a try your wasting heat and wood by letting the stove get to 600. Heck mine will run away if i do that.

Any changes in burn times??

Funny you ask.... i ran out of my wood. And ended up having to buy a face. The seller stated well seasoned after it was delivered i found that well seasoned to him was split for 90 days. So i started using the wood and had to mix it with wood i had to buy at lowes. Once this wood takes off i am getting a ton of secondary flames and longer burn times. We have had a cold snap down into the teens with high winds and it is holding the house at a comfortable temp both upstairs and down

Funny you ask.... i ran out of my wood. And ended up having to buy a face. The seller stated well seasoned after it was delivered i found that well seasoned to him was split for 90 days. So i started using the wood and had to mix it with wood i had to buy at lowes. Once this wood takes off i am getting a ton of secondary flames and longer burn times. We have had a cold snap down into the teens with high winds and it is holding the house at a comfortable temp both upstairs and down
I know what you mean about wood sellers and there definition of seasoned wood been through that before.... Have you started backing it down sooner?

Status
Not open for further replies.