Out of Time and Out of Money .........DUROCK Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomask9590

Jun 9, 2008
Portland, ME
Can I use DUROCK as a stove board . I am out of cash for my stove project :down: and I have to full sheets of Durock left. Can I just mount those sheets 1" off the wall and call it good. I know they are ugly but I want to be safe. :eek:hh:

Sure why not, just keep to the clearance specs and mount that Durock well. So in the future, all ya have to do is put some cultured stone or tile, etc on it.

yeah, that seems like it should work... like said, make sure they are mounted properly and your set...

Why do you need wall shields? Are shields specifically mentioned in the stove manufacturer's instructions as being an acceptable way to reduced the required clearances to combustibles? If so, and you choose to use Durock sheets, then sure, they'll work. Figure out a way to keep them 1" off the floor and 1" off the wall with non-combustible spacers of some sort. Just as Hog said, you can always come back later and set some nice tile on them. Rick

I used it to build my enclosure for a fireplace insert at my cabin then my wife picked fieldstone from the field nextdoor and used ceramic tile thinset adhesive to attach the stone. After that she used black grout for ceramic tile between each stone. Let me tell you it looks great. As far as cost very low. I bought the insert for $100 at a yard sell, about $30 dollars for the adhesive. and $50 for the durock.

We went for years with the 602 set up that way. Just slice off some 4"wide, long strips of durock to make the spacers. Two thicknesses will give you the 1" gap.

Thank you for the response, I really didn't expand on my situation. I do have to put up some sort of barrier due to a clearance issue. I will install the sheets tonight. I only hope the wife can put up with it for a whole season :roll: .......By the way how do you cut this stuff. I used my jig saw when I made my hearth pad but it was a mess. :bug: Any better ideas.

Draw a line and score/cut one side w/ a few passes using a sharp utility knife. then snap it (away from your cut) and slice the other side. The stuff leaves little granules EVERYWHERE, esp on the rough-cut edges. That's how i made my hearthpad - 1/2" Wonderboard sheet over steel studs. I would think you could maybe whip up some mortar and apply a little to the edges to keep the granules from continually falling out - you'll hack up a floor if they get stepped on.

Or buzz it outdoors with the circular saw with a carbide blade. Messy but quick and smooth.

Scoring the sheet and snapping it is the way I've cut it. You can paint the sheets with a high temp paint so that they look a bit more presentable.

Status
Not open for further replies.