Out with the Old and in with the NEW (to us)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Howdy all

Well last weekend we picked up a lovely Whitfield Advantage 2T and got it all cleaned up Sunday and working sweet.

Now its time to get going on the install.

Not as easy as 1,2,3.

The Whitfield has a low exhaust stack that even on a hearth pad will intersect right though the middle of wiring in the wall...

OOOOOOOOOK so the plan is to build a Raised Hearth a total of 10-5/8 inches tall with ceramic tile on top of it.

Going to do a rock look treatment on the corner walls using the 4 foot long interlocking panels..

Finding resonable prices on anything is tough.

This morning I found a Habitat for Humanity store that had 8x8 tiles just the right color for 25 cents each YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Have Craigs list ads running to see if I can scare up some good used pellet pipe and other goodies to finish the install..

I am a scrounge by nature and love to wrangle a deal on used things.

I will be taking pics as the install proceeds and will post them here for all to see.

The corner currently has the WP50 Earth Stove sitting in it.

Will be sweet to have this all done.

The stove thats going in is the one in my avitar

best

Snowy

Hey Snowy! Should look great when finished! Will be waiting to see the pictures! Could you enlighten us on the rock treatment w/ 4' interlocking panels? Sounds interesting as i am to start my install next week. Thanks

The stuff is called NEXTSTONE

It is a polyurethane hard type molded siding that comes in many colors and styles

www.nextstone.com

The stuff is easy to install and will make a very pleasing fireplace looking finish to the walls behind the stove.

Snowy

Got out to a little surplus store yesterday and found some lovely tile for the "NEW" raised hearth for the New to us stove.

OK I started doing "MOCKUP's yesterday of the raised hearth.

Took piccy's too.

The outline of the hearth is shown in one pix with white arrows. I laid some of the new tile on the dark plank look floor and also laid out a piece of the "Rock look" panels so we can get an idea of color and how its all going to look.

The OLD WP50 Earth stove is still in the way but I want to have it runnable as it is for sale.

If the old stove does not sell soon I will unhook it and move the beast out of my way.

Going to build the raised hearth from standard dimentional lumber and top it with 1/2 inch plywood then 1/4 inch cement board and finally with the tile shown.

This stackup will make the hearth strong and fire proof as is required by code.

The ready made hearth pads are too spendy and do not cover the size I need.

The new hearth will be 64" on a side with the front cut on a 45 degree angle.

The new stove will sit square with the front face approx 7 inches back from the face.

The final location will be decided by the exact spot that the pellet vent pipe hooks up.

Sadly I can't st the stove exactly in centerline of the hearth as the exhaust is offset about 5 inches.

I amy play with the length of the back side a tad to shift the perspective so the offset is not noticeable.

I may tile the hearth with the tiles lined up as shown in the pix and do the cuts at the corner. This will then leave things without a centerline that shows so much. ??????/

As far as the color of the rock panels, the jurry is still out on this one. I like the gray rock, other half likes the buff/browns.

With the dark brown floor and the off white tile, I feel that the gray sets it off well with good contrast and without getting too busy and clashy.

Snowy

Attachments

• 2T1.jpg
    2T1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 461
  • 2T2.jpg
    2T2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 458
  • 2T3.jpg
    2T3.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 445
  • 2T4.jpg
    2T4.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 446
Well I got started last night on tearing out the old WP50

That Pellet pipe can be a real PITA to get apart once its been sealed good with silicone at all the joints.

Got the pipe off the stove and unhooked from the top elbo.

Going to head off to the DEPOT today and get some lumber and start building the new hearth.

Got the plans all sorted out and the "Imagineering" is pretty well down on paper now.

Lots of measuring, head scratching and more measuring.

Trying to get things sorted out so I dont end up with either too much or too little of anything.

Hoping to get the new hearth fairly well framed in by the close of the weekend.

Keep ya posted

Snowy

Just got back from the depot a bit ago. Bought almost all the stuff needed to build the raised hearth.

Managed to spend near $200 on lumber and other stuff.

Tomorrow is gonna be cut, fit bolt and build, build, build.

Will take some more piccys's as things progress.

Snowy

UPDATE

Well today was a busy one.
The Old Earth stove got a new home this afternoon and the new raised hearth is well under way now.

Got the major framing done. about an hour ago I ran out of steam and vacuumed up the place and got a little bit of order back in the family room.

Still have some joists left to put in the hearth deck and then apply the decking sheets.

Going to use 2 sheets of OSB over the joists then 1/4 inch cement board and then tile on top of that.

Still have to figure out exactly where the stove will sit and and get the "OAK" (My own plumbing)
piped in so it comes up behind the stove in a handy spot.

Already have an air pipe through the wall so its just a matter of doing the piping.

Here are a couple pix of todays work.

Im getting excited.

Snowy

Attachments

• Raised hearth1.jpg
    Raised hearth1.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 264
  • Raised hearth2.jpg
    Raised hearth2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 263
Work has been busy the last couple days so progress on the new hearth has not gone far.

Got almost all the joists in now and hopefully I can get the thing decked this wekend.

Then the tile can go on and get the stove into its new place

Oh my I love a project.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.