Out with the old, In with the new.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lockpicker

Aug 3, 2014
Pa.
Got my new enviro Kodiak 1700 insert installed today and took out the 10 year old quadrafire Castile pellet. I live on a heavily wooded property and every year was giving away cords and cords of wood. With the price of pellets and the inconsistency of them and the fact I have free wood it was a no brianer. My photo skills are about on a third grade level, My new set up looks great, much better than the crooked photos. Looking forward to using it this year.

Castile minus surround.

Honest my house doesn't lean.

Looks great. I love that insert.

Welcome to the good side of The Force. ;lol

Reactions: Dix
Nice looking setup LockPicker. Now you'll be a "LogPicker" :rolleyes:

Always loved the whole process of gathering, cutting, splitting, and BURNING! You'll enjoy it too! Can't see myself burning pellet but the world works in funny ways.

Cheers

Yes, very good choice. Even if the handle is on the wrong side. ;lol

Reactions: BrotherBart

Always loved the whole process of gathering, cutting, splitting, and BURNING! You'll enjoy it too! Can't see myself burning pellet but the world works in funny ways.

Cheers
Thanks guys. Ill get a better pic. I enjoy getting wood ready to burn now. We have an old federal airtight in the family room on lower floor that we burned occasionally weekends and also a fireplace in our bedroom that has never been used in 15 years. We plan to burn this kodiak 24/7 this winter.

Got my new enviro Kodiak 1700 insert installed today and took out the 10 year old quadrafire Castile pellet.

I can almost feel the heat from here.

Looks good,,,,enjoy!

We have a Castile pellet in the living room and (like you) also plan to take it out someday to make room for a wood burner. (PE-T4) We got lots of trees here too and I can't justify buying pellets anymore.

PS: I like to Betsy Ross flag plaque. (looks like it already got scorched on the lower edge.);lol

I can almost feel the heat from here.

Looks good,,,,enjoy!

We have a Castile pellet in the living room and (like you) also plan to take it out someday to make room for a wood burner. (PE-T4) We got lots of trees here too and I can't justify buying pellets anymore.

PS: I like to Betsy Ross flag plaque. (looks like it already got scorched on the lower edge.);lol

HA HA,, No old glory didn't get scorched and hopefully wont in the future. I lit a fire in this thing the other day just to tinker. The radiant heat alone was great. Of course it isn't cold yet, but I have not a doubt in the world this Kodiak will heat far and away better than the old castile. Here is a better pic of our hearth, with my homemade extension. I wanted something I could move in the summer, and something that matched our floor and brick. Couldn't find anything so I made one.

Reactions: CenterTree
Very nice setup, A friend of mine has the same insert, I only have one recommendation - a good pair of shorts cause its gonna be warm in there this winter

Cheers
I loved all that gathering, cutting, splitting and BURNING too.... The wife had other ideas! I tried for 2 seasons with the Envi-8 blocks.... (the wife still had other ideas). You can see below what I'm buring now in my 'old' age of 51. To paraphrase Homer Simpson, "...hard work pays off eventually - Lazy pays off immediately". (It is awfully nice to come home to a home as warm as I left it 10 hrs earlier I must admit) Happy wife, happy life!

Pick your battles carefully fellas!

Looks great LP, that big clean glass door should do great for the pics you show us of it in action :cool:

I loved all that gathering, cutting, splitting and BURNING too.... The wife had other ideas! I tried for 2 seasons with the Envi-8 blocks.... (the wife still had other ideas). You can see below what I'm buring now in my 'old' age of 51. To paraphrase Homer Simpson, "...hard work pays off eventually - Lazy pays off immediately". (It is awfully nice to come home to a home as warm as I left it 10 hrs earlier I must admit) Happy wife, happy life!

Pick your battles carefully fellas!

So what's the adage for a happy husband?? Lol

Reactions: Dix
Great looking setup! I started out on pellets also, found that processing wood is more enjoyable and better for you physically. Do you have any dry stuff ready to go?

How the hell did I miss this thread????

Nice looking set up. You can do it !!

Lockpicker, you have enough clearance on top for a kettle or percolator? I hear the Kodiak gets hot enough to accommodate coffee/tea just curious to how much space on top looks like with some cookware.

Great looking setup! I started out on pellets also, found that processing wood is more enjoyable and better for you physically. Do you have any dry stuff ready to go?
Right now I have two cords ready to go. I have a few favors to call in and source for dry wood. Going to be tight this winter but I'll be two years ahead by spring with my own wood that I have here,.

Mrsflea there is room for a small percolater or teapot it gets plenty hot..

Thanks the extender wasnt that tough to make. I used scraps from the shop and only have about 40 bucks into it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.