Out with the old, in with the new!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FuzzyOne

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2006
Central NJ
It was time for an upgrade. My sister gave me this old insert when she moved into her home about 8 years ago. I'm not sure what kind it is, but I had replaced the mica with glass and added a new blower. I was able to heat my home with it but could never really get any long burn times. But it was a definite improvement over an open fireplace. I think the tag said it was from the mid 1970's as I recall. Unfortunately, the back developed 3 cracks and the metal was very thin. Probably from overfiring. I'm sure somebody here knows the manufacturer.

Here it was on it's last day.

Attachments

• old2.jpg
    old2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 306
After a lot of research, I decided on the Regency I3100. Both from reviews here and a friend that has the same unit. It was installed Thursday and I did a few small break-in fires. I asked the dealer about break-in fires and he said "Just use the damn thing." LOL. Today was the first day I cranked it up a little. I'll definitely be using less wood with this insert. I'm also pretty happy with the size of the large firebox as I really want to have it burning through the night.

The fire inspector will be here for the final Tuesday. I researched this sucker up and down and thought I was going to be over the front clearance requirements which would definitely pose a problem in my strict town. But now that it's installed, I have a half inch to spare!!

Here it is. 19 degrees outside, 81 on first floor and 75 upstairs. :coolsmile:

Attachments

• regency2.jpg
    regency2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 366
  • regency1.jpg
    regency1.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 346
Thats gorgeous man, now wipe the damn finger prints of the surround LOL. J/K
Nice looking beast.
And put that thermometer on the tool holder on the stove LOL

Very nice... Hope you stay warm..

EDIT
I also mentioned the fingerprints but erased before my post was submitted.... Because he's still a Newb
He's still in his break in period too ya know :cheese:

looks NICE!

question:

what is the size and layout of your house to get such good temps downstairs and up?

FuzzyOne said:
After a lot of research, I decided on the Regency I3100. Both from reviews here and a friend that has the same unit. It was installed Thursday and I did a few small break-in fires. I asked the dealer about break-in fires and he said "Just use the damn thing." LOL. Today was the first day I cranked it up a little. I'll definitely be using less wood with this insert. I'm also pretty happy with the size of the large firebox as I really want to have it burning through the night.

The fire inspector will be here for the final Tuesday. I researched this sucker up and down and thought I was going to be over the front clearance requirements which would definitely pose a problem in my strict town. But now that it's installed, I have a half inch to spare!!

Here it is. 19 degrees outside, 81 on first floor and 75 upstairs. :coolsmile:

GVA said:
Very nice... Hope you stay warm..

EDIT
I also mentioned the fingerprints but erased before my post was submitted.... Because he's still a Newb
He's still in his break in period too ya know :cheese:

Ya gots to learnem right darnit!!!!! LOL

You guys don't miss a trick with the fingerprints. I tried just regular water and had myself believing I was ruining the paint. I'll tackle them some day. I have to pull the top surround panel for the fire inspector anyhow.

As for the layout....my home is a 4 bedroom center hall colonial, built in 1984. The first floor is very open and the stairwell opens to a landing with a 15' hallway. Not sure on the square footage since everyone has their own idea of what should be calculated. That temp was taken at the end of the hallway, near the 4th bedroom which has the door always kept closed for lack of use. That was burning all day with the fan on high 90 percent of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.