outdoor air to my EKO

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave T

Mar 28, 2008
Dansville NY
Does anybody have their boilers piped to fresh air for the fans that blow into the firebox..I like the idea of not sucking the cold into my basement just to blow it out of the chimney..I have access to a metal break for any tricky metal fab issues,Would I need a firebox draft inducer to save wear and tear on the EKO factory fans I would be running duct about 15 feet for fresh air..THANKS
DAVE

Some boilers offer direct vent kits for the combustion air. I have used these kits on Clean Burn waste oil boilers.

Another thought would be a motorized damper. Duct it to right above the fan intake and interlock it with the blower control on the EKO so the damper will be full open before the blower on the boiler starts.

Motorized louvers are common in a lot of carwashes and other commercial buildings with tiny mechanical spaces and large BTU boiler.

Tjerlund (sp) make a product called fan in a can for combustion air applications also.

this idea (outside combustion air) has seemingly become the norm for the more modern oil burners, and I, too, am interested in considering it for my Econoburn, if I can confirm that it isn't likely to create any problems (yet to be determined).

Field Controls makes various items for this purpose, including a weighted intake damper that "tees" into the outside air intake line; that way if something blocks the outdoor air intake, the "backup" damper swivels open to admit indoor air, so that the appliance is not starved- which is, of course, really important. go to fieldcontrols.com and look at combustion air, and look for the "vacuum relief valve"

regardless of the method you chose, I HIGHLY recommend ALL indoor wood, or any fuel fired boiler for that matter have a top quality CO detector included in the room.

In adequate combustion air can cause some very serious conditions, not to be taken lightly.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.