outdoor break-in of new stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robalp

Mar 1, 2010
Hunterdon County NJ
I have read a few posts a while ago (can't seem to find them again) about doing the first few burns of a new stove outside, to prevent smoke and bad smell in the house. I am picking up my new Oslo this week and am thinking of doing the first burns out side. I would assume I would need to stand up at least 10 foot of chimney pipe, to get a proper draft... Can anyone give some advice to a relative novice... The guy at my stove shop said that was a crazy idea, but of course he doesn't live here!

Thanks Rob

It will only take about 6' of pipe and this can be lightweight vent pipe.

However, if your stove is enameled, don't bother. There isn't much break-in smell with the enameled stoves.

There wasn't much smell with the matte black Olso either . . . my wife who has a pretty sensitive nose wasn't much bothered by it . . . although I did do it on a relatively warm day and left the windows in the living room open.

I did 3 different burns outside before installing my stove...but, I repainted the whole thing since my wife didn't like the original black. All I used was a single piece of 3' double wall pipe...but, I had painted that too since it was going to be between the stove and the ceiling...according to my wife, these things are supposed to match. So, I was trying to cure that paint too.

Even after these 3 outdoor burns, we still had some curing smell on the first couple of fires after installation, but they were not too bad. Perhaps, with the taller pipe it got hotter and further cured the paint.

Thanks guys! As always, this is the place to learn from some folks who are generous with their time and knowledge...

Best regards,

Rob

Don't be surprised that you have to leave the door cracked burning it outside. The short pipe makes for a lousy draft.

If doing a break-in fire outdoors, then why not the black stove pipe also? That is where we got all of our smell from is the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.