Outdoor firepits advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

Looking for an outdoor fire pit that will last and not rust. Most of the big box stores carry crap that lasts a year or two. Anyone have any suggestions on something that looks nice, will kick out some heat and last?

- I got lucky, had a commercial kitchen stainless steel steam-jacketed kettle given to me--I welded 2' SS legs onto it in tripod fashion, added a 1/2" mesh SS screen to the top ended up with a "firepit" that will last a lifetime!
- Check local scrapyards, things like that turn up occasionally like when schools/hospitals update kitchen facilities.

- Best wishes, Woodrat

I dug a pit and lined it with rocks, it is in the side yard out of the way.

If you live by a lake or stream, put the pit far from the water. Ashes have phosphorus which in most cases is not good for lakes and streams if it can wash in from a rain or snow melt.

We have a silly state law against burn barrels, also against burning trash but that is too hard to enforce so they outlaw the innocent barrel, so we have learned to burn various "trash" type things in these commercial fire pits. If you burn it in an open pit then the ashes will float off and maybe start a wildfire.

I have a home dept cheap fire pit setup and it will only last a couple of years. The only way to do it right is to homebuild your own out of heavier gauge steel and expanded steel. Call it a BBQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.