Outdoor fireplace question about brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeandjenna

Jun 8, 2016
Boston
Hi I'm looking to install an outdoor fireplace for my patio and it's going to be in need of natural stone and have a Masonary flu my question is does the flu have to have fire brick with refrac mortar. Or would I be able to get away with traditional brick and regular mortar. Look forward to hearing your response

Check local codes some places still require a lining material even for outdoor fireplaces. For the firebox I would do firebrick liner anyway it will hold up longer. For the flue I would just do clay tiles as a liner unless you don't need a liner then you could just leave the interior of the flue alone

Status
Not open for further replies.