Outdoor forced air furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StackedLumber

Oct 28, 2009
Michigan
Has anyone had EXPERIENCE with a Bryan or Wadena Outdoor forced air furnace? I've been set that I'm headed towards an outdoor heat source of some sort. I had seen some comments on a Wadena on other threads but they were either way old ('07) or had to do w/ tax credit issues (doesn't apply to me). Anyways, live way up north in the Lower Pen. of Michigan and am gettin killed by the gas company on their nat. gas pricing. (house is forced air)

Not looking for a bunch of bull, just lookin for someone that has had great or awful experiences w/ a forced air set up.

jb, welcome. I am going to move this to the boiler room. There are more folks that run furnaces there.

Seems like outdoor furnaces get mixed reviews at best - unless they have really ideal installations, they seem to spend more energy heating the outdoors than the indoors... Don't know the units you mention, but have no reason to think they'd be much different. More expensive, but a better performing option seems to be an outdoor boiler hooked up to a heat exchanger in your HVAC system's plenum.

Gooserider

I'd have to second the boiler w/heat exchanger idea. Air is a lousy way to move a lot of heat. If you've already got duct work, why not go with a geothermal system, then supplement it with a wood stove for space heating? Here I go, dreaming the dream......

Status
Not open for further replies.