Outdoor Low Voltage Lighting using AC motion sensor burns Out Transformer!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

I have had nothing but trouble try to turn the low voltage 12v LEDs in the new front steps post caps on with the motion sensor above the garage door!!! Two low voltage transformers just burned right out in a few hours.
See wiring pics
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...ts-for-dark-days-of-fall.146265/#post-1970626
Has anyone seen this issue?

I finally changed the AC outlets under the stairs from being wired to the motion sensor to the AC circuit so the outlets will be live all the time. Then I purchased the Merlin System which has it's own motion sensor and switches the low voltage side. The low voltage light only goes from a low light to full brightness when there is motion but it is working fine.

There is also an on-off timer that can be use when the motion sensor is turned off or in conjuction with the motion sensor.

There is also a photo cell that prevents daylight operation.

See pics.
Pic 1 - Merlin System
Pic 2 - Wiring
Pic 3 - Front Steps
Pic 4 - Low Voltage Timer in top dome

Attachments

• LowVoltage1-MerlingSystem.JPG
    LowVoltage1-MerlingSystem.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 170
  • LowVoltage2-WireSetup.JPG
    LowVoltage2-WireSetup.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 189