outdoor parking or "car port"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saichele

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2005
So I find myself short on garage space going in to the winter. I'm debating the relative merits of 1) simply parking the 1993 F150 that is worth more for hauling cr@p than I can sell it for outside, vs 2) parking it under one of those tent things that would at least keep the worst of the snow off. Wouldn't do much for temperature/starting, might help a little for body rust (considerable). A 10' x 20' tent is only $79 at the local Menards, can't hardly get a big enough tarp for that.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks
Steve

I don't know about the ones at Menards, but the $99 ones at Tractor Supply cannot handle heavy rains or any snow. (I'm guessing they are the same or very similar). As a matter of fact, the instructions say not to leave them unattended.

In a heavy wind, the thin wall tubing will bow and then rip. They can be spliced with 1.25" EMT.

The link to the tents in the previous post are much more expensive. I think I would go to a $900 metal car port before going that route unless you need more space. They do look like nice tents though.

The challenge is that the vehicle itself might be worth $1500 on a good day. before I go $900 for a carport, I'd buy some 2x4s and corrugated roofing to build a lean-to roof off my barn.

I think the crux of it is whether just keeping the snow and ice off the vehicle (but leaving it exposed at the sides) is worth the effort. Am I really extending it's life or reducing maintenance costs? Or is it just making it a little easier to get the windsheild cleared off?

Steve

Truck worth $1500? I know tons of people that keep their brand new vehicles outside 365 (including me and I have a four car garage!). The biggest ruster of vehicles I have been told is going from freezing to warm where all the stuff melts off.

Park it outside and scrape the windows. If it is cold get a block heater. It won't start any better in an open carport unless you have frigid winds.

If you get lots of snow you have to shovel your temp garage. We get lots of snow where I am and my neighbour has two of those tent things and he is dumping the snow off them all the time.

Parking the vehicle under unheated cover is definately desirable. Not only the windshield but all the windows will generally remain clear, which will reduce the chances of accidents and their attendent costs.
Also there won't be snow melting and refreezing on the vehicle etc.

Baloney-
If i have a garage ( i do- two car)- i will park in it. It's not heated, but it's enclousue for the autos.
Why would you leave it outside ? If it is valuable to you- protect it, if not- don't worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.