Outdoor Shower Build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mass_burner

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2013
SE Mass
I'm putting in a little 4x6 shower on the back corner of the house, off the pool deck. Looks like I'll need to punch through the foundation:

1. what type of drill/bit do I need for this?
2. Can/should I use pex for the inside run?

Poured concrete foundation? If so, masonry bit on a hammer drill.
You can use a non impact drill but it will take forever.
I see no reason why you can't use PEX. Its preferably for freeze protection too.
Downsides are that rodents can chew through it and sunlight will degrade it.

After a second look, there is a 2x10 to drill through. I'm going to use the closest hot/cold 1/2" feed going to a bathroom sink, sweat in a tee and connect the pex to that.

Are you using a kit or plans? I am in the planning stages of my outdoor shower and I'm looking for guidance.

Are you using a kit or plans? I am in the planning stages of my outdoor shower and I'm looking for guidance.
If you mean the stall, we're did our our design. I'm using galvanized roof sheets covering 4x4 pt posts as the walls/door. Bluestone floor, leftover mahogany decking for inside accents, towel rack, shelf, bench.

Still undecided about drainage, I have a close rain downspout with an 8' buried descending 4" pipe. Tying into that would be easier than digging a new French drain.

Just make sure you put a drain cock somewhere on the lowest part of the outdoor run to drain for winter

Just make sure you put a drain cock somewhere on the lowest part of the outdoor run to drain for winter
Yes, thanks for reminding me.

Reactions: jb6l6gc
I dug 2, 24" deep holes with this tool,was in my basement when I moved in. Great tool, especially for rocky soil.

uploadfromtaptalk1463485901867.jpg

I think I'm going to need a dry well, at least a catch basin and 4" pipe running to the lower/farther point of the existing buried 8' drain pipe.
I didn't see catch basins at HD, what are they made if?

What do you think of shark bite connections?

I've never used them myself but have heard nothing but good things. They are quite expensive though. All the pex work I've ever done, which is limited has been crimped connections. To be honest I like copper. I'm good at it and know it well. Any plumber I've ever talked to loves pex though I just don't see the test of time yet.

After a second look, there is a 2x10 to drill through. I'm going to use the closest hot/cold 1/2" feed going to a bathroom sink, sweat in a tee and connect the pex to that.
Don't forget a shut-off!
PS ... I see you have already been reminded==c

I think I'm going to need a dry well, at least a catch basin and 4" pipe running to the lower/farther point of the existing buried 8' drain pipe.
I didn't see catch basins at HD, what are they made if?
Anyone? How should I catch/channel the grey water to the existing drain pipe.

Is this drain pipe to your septic tank or just a tile draining into a field?
I buried an 8' 4" descending outdoor drainage pipe from the gutter down spout on that corner 5 years ago.

Anyone? How should I catch/channel the grey water to the existing drain pipe.
Since you're not going into the septic couldn't you run some pvc from your shower to the French drain? Depending on how far of a run and how much you want to dig doing this would be pretty simple.

At your french drain cut into the tile and put on a wye. At the shower put in a typical shower drain but do NOT install a trap. At either end put in an adapter go from shower drain size to French tile size. Personally I would run 2' pvc (cost factor and digging factor) then at the wye put in an adapter to go from 2" to 4" field tile(I'm guessing on the tile size).

Hope this make sense.

Since you're not going into the septic couldn't you run some pvc from your shower to the French drain? Depending on how far of a run and how much you want to dig doing this would be pretty simple.

At your french drain cut into the tile and put on a wye. At the shower put in a typical shower drain but do NOT install a trap. At either end put in an adapter go from shower drain size to French tile size. Personally I would run 2' pvc (cost factor and digging factor) then at the wye put in an adapter to go from 2" to 4" field tile(I'm guessing on the tile size).

Hope this make sense.
This is what I did so far, before I read your post. I'm thinking of filling everything with 3/4 stone. The outlet pipe from the shower side is set near the bottom.

uploadfromtaptalk1463962568713.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1463962586014.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1463962613445.jpg

It's awesome. There are two types...the easy slip on connection that goes over pex, and the type that requires a crimp connection that goes inside (think barb fitting) type. Both are great, but the slip on run you 3x the price.

Slip on.
sharkbite3.jpg

Barb with compression tool
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe1fW2bkzaa9HZeY0l5IgcudPqdBNSnR7PJJ0-IS2fRdWAwVXV.jpg

I have used hundreds of each and love them all. Zero leaks.

Since you are doing a small project, I'd recommend not paying $60 for a compression fitting tool, unless you see more projects in the the future.

I didn't like the way the black stuff fit into the PVC, so I switched out to all PVC, no leaks. I made the bottom of the pit tilted toward the pipe. Seems to work fine. I need a louvered cover for the end.

uploadfromtaptalk1464046464661.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1464046483163.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1464046499614.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.