Outdoor Shower Build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two types...the easy slip on connection that goes over pex, and the type that requires a crimp connection that goes inside (think barb fitting) type.
I believe the "Sharkbite" fittings are all the slip on type.
Barbed fittings are available as well and at least 2 different types of clamps are available; typically stainless steel (as shown) and copper bands. There's a related discussion here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pex-crimp-rings-copper-or-stainless.127819/

@mass_burner
I'd suggest installing landscape fabric under, around and over the gravel to keep soil from migrating in and clogging up the works.

@mass_burner
I'd suggest installing landscape fabric under, around and over the gravel to keep soil from migrating in and clogging up the works.
I can see under and around, but wouldn't covering slow the water from getting to the drain pipe?

I can see under and around, but wouldn't covering slow the water from getting to the drain pipe?
In general, dirt that makes its way into the gravel bed is eventually going to fill the spaces between rocks and clog up the works. I'm guessing a lot of dirt and other detritus is going to make its way through your wood platform. If you place a layer of landscape cloth, basically a filter, there then you can remove it occasionally to clean it or replace it. Easier that then digging up the gravel and the drain pipe.
Alternatively, some wrap the drain pipe with filter fabric instead before backfilling to keep dirt from getting into the drain pipe. I think this is less effective and a shorter term solution.
Those that don't want to take the time to install the filter fabric will argue that the gravel will never clog up. I disagree and have seen it happen numerous times. Of course its all about time. I'd rather spend a little time to make things last longer.

In general, dirt that makes its way into the gravel bed is eventually going to fill the spaces between rocks and clog up the works. I'm guessing a lot of dirt and other detritus is going to make its way through your wood platform. If you place a layer of landscape cloth, basically a filter, there then you can remove it occasionally to clean it or replace it. Easier that then digging up the gravel and the drain pipe.
Alternatively, some wrap the drain pipe with filter fabric instead before backfilling to keep dirt from getting into the drain pipe. I think this is less effective and a shorter term solution.
Those that don't want to take the time to install the filter fabric will argue that the gravel will never clog up. I disagree and have seen it happen numerous times. Of course its all about time. I'd rather spend a little time to make things last longer.
Huh, maybe I should staple the fabric to the top of the PT frame. Rats, I didn't put any fabric under the 2 bags I already put down.

I believe the "Sharkbite" fittings are all the slip on type.
Barbed fittings are available as well and at least 2 different types of clamps are available; typically stainless steel (as shown) and copper bands. There's a related discussion here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/pex-crimp-rings-copper-or-stainless.127819/
No, they make both type. They have a little shark on the side. :)
They also make plastic ones. I'm trying those out with my bathroom remodel as they are cheaper.
76a64abb-06c1-44b7-b16e-69c63d533dd9_400.jpg

Sharp bite is the manufacturer of the traditional style fittings in your post. But I believe when people say "sharkbite" they are referring to the push lock style fittings. Sort of like when someone asks for a Kleenex but it could actually be a Puff facial tissue.

Other manufacturers make PEX fittings, Nibco, watts, Viega just to name a few. All these fittings work in the same manor, copper crimp ring or stainless band.

This is very timely. We're moving into the only house on Cape Cod that doesn't currently have an outside shower. :)

This is very timely. We're moving into the only house on Cape Cod that doesn't currently have an outside shower. :)
Yea, our house down there already has an outdoor shower. We also have a little floating wooden mat on a gravel base next to a faucet with spray gun next to the front porch. Keeping sand out of the hi house is a full time job.

Yea, our house down there already has an outdoor shower. We also have a little floating wooden mat on a gravel base next to a faucet with spray gun next to the front porch. Keeping sand out of the hi house is a full time job.

I'm learning the truth of that last statement. :)

We're 1500' from a pond with a sandy beach...you'd think the sand would have time to fall off between there and here!

I know where the shower will go...I need to find a plumber who will run the pipes for me. I *could* do it myself, but when they freeze and make a mess of the basement, I'd rather blame someone else :)

OK, it's ~90% done, just some random trim to add, but it's fully functional. All trim and the door is made from recycled mahagony decking we pulled up.
uploadfromtaptalk1469462101335.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1469462111783.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1469462121913.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1469462137960.jpg

Reactions: semipro and lml999
I know where the shower will go...I need to find a plumber who will run the pipes for me./QUOTE]

Well, I thought I knew where it was going to go. My tree guys are here doing some work in preparation for our solar install later this year and have given me some options...

Rather than attach a smallish (5'x5') outdoor shower onto the right rear corner of the house, I'm thinking about going standalone about 10' away from that corner with a larger shower, maybe 6x8. Turn it into a real lawn feature rather than something just tucked away. I also don't have to worry about drainage there...or in mounting the plumbing on the outer wall of the house...

Then I have to make a walkway from the shower to the door at the corner of the house. Might just do 3x3 deck type steps, in the same wood/finish as the shower.

Status
Not open for further replies.