Outdoor stove...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
So folks, I have an old old smoke dragon laying around doing nothing, I would like to stick it on my cement back porch to stand near it and warm the hands when working outside.

I'm going to keep it a minimum of 36 inches away from any combustible material. I have about 10 to 15 feet or rigid single wall stainless liner laying around from my chimney line, that I would just hook to the top and burn away.

Anyone else ever done something like this? Any issues?

What say you, hearth folk?

Dustin

Why not? Not so different from the ceramic "chimeras" that are all the rage nowadays.

Some years ago I acquired one of those old "inverted funnel" fireplaces like you used to see in 1960s ski lodges, similar to a Malm fireplace. Had plans to put it in the screened porch but never did, being old and doubtless non UL it probably wouldn't have been allowed anyway. Had about 8' of matching (bright orange) single wall pipe. Anyway, it sat outside for a few years, and I occasionally used it to burn stuff in, as much for the entertainment value as anything else. One one occasion I burned a bunch of corrugated cardboard in it and it was impressive... like a blast furnace, there was a jet of flames going up about 4' above the top of the pipe.!!!

We were going to do this with the old Fisher that was here, but ended up selling it instead. We didn't save any of the flue and it wouldn't draw for anything, just filled the firebox with smoke.

Fanman, our Temco hunter is a cone like yours. Mid Century Modern is all the rage right now, you could probably sell it for a few hundred bucks if you wanted to. We actually had an offer on ours, but DH had one like it (in red though, ours is black) growing up so we kept it. Still haven't gotten it all up and running again yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.