Outdoor vs Basement Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BillM2

Dec 23, 2010
Mid-Hudson Valley
Looks like I may not be able to squirrel away in the chicken coop about a ton of pellets til next season. Wondering where would be better for them -- outdoors wrapped tightly on a raised pallet or in my basement, which can be damp, also on a raised pallet (where I also sometimes run a dehumidifier). Any thoughts?

Basement

Humidity in my basement runs high and I have a few ton stored down there that have been there two years now and seem to be fine.

I also store them in the basement but have to carry them down then back up to put in the stove. Can you get them delivered to the location outside ? both places are good so You should ask your self which area will you handle the pellets the least and that is where I would store them. I don't have a location outside that i can store them so when the pellet people come its a family affair carrying pellets to the basement. O how they love that day lol

Reactions: Harmanizer
First couple years stored 3 ton outside tightly wrapped with zero problems.
Once we tapped into a ton we loaded all onto enclosed porch.

basement

I vote basement. Raised on 2 pallets for protection (lay a layer of plastic between the 1st and 2nd pallet for moisture protection)

I vote basement. Raised on 2 pallets for protection (lay a layer of plastic between the 1st and 2nd pallet for moisture protection)
The two pallet with plastic between I will try that to

Basement on pallet.

I have stored pellets both outdoors for extended periods of time, and in the basement, with no problems either way.

If the outdoor pellets are kept raised off the ground by at least 1 pallet, retained their factory plastic bag & wrapping, and have additional covering on top (in a shed or w/ tight fitting tarp), they should be fine.

Basement storage just needs them raised on a pallet, and if the basement is exceedingly damp, a small dehumidifier can help.

MY basement humidity is 20% in winter.Heck its like a kiln drier.

The first year I burned pellets the ton of Dry Creeks I got with the stove were covered and stored outside from the previous a year. I had no problems at all with em.
The trick is keeping em dry and that means a tight wind/water proof cover.

Basement, off the floor on a pallet. I've stored outside in a 12x20 instant garage and many of the bags were chewed open by wild animals there is...

Basement, you only have to worry about humidity unless you have mice. And you've said you can run a humidifier, so the humidity shouldn't be an issue. You must keep them off the floor, pallet is best

Personally I wouldn`t want to have a damp cellar / basement in my house. Obviously some can be difficult or near impossible to fix but most can be improved significantly. Humidity is normal in the summer and can easily be reduced it or eliminated but a really damp basement should be remedied when possible.

Reactions: Defiant
Status
Not open for further replies.