Outdoor wood boilers review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see wood doctors OWBs parked all over the place, but never one that wasn't smoking. I haven't heard about a gasification version, though that would be interesting to see in action. There's a place nearby that sells them, but they're all the traditional OWBs. This place has a big pile of green logs parked next to the unit they're actually using. Looks like when it needs filling, somebody goes out with a chainsaw and lopps of a couple of rounds.

The Wood Gun is at the high end, from what I've seen. The deal with storage is this: you can get by without it, but it's the key to seeing the kind of efficiency and clean-burn claims made for the gasifier (any gasifier). It's just that when they're trying to sell you a boiler for, say, $8,000 or $10,000, it's probably the wrong time to start talking about spending another 5 grand on a tank and hx. As a practical matter, I think the Wood Gun is probably pretty similar in operation to a Tarm or EKO or Econoburn or BioMax or other water-jacketed downdraft gasifier. But it is built like a Sherman tank.

Garnification said:
Does anyone out there have a Wood Doctor Converter wood boiler. They are suppose to be a gasifying boiler. Would like to here the operation and maintenance of it.

There's a place at the intersection of Hwys 21 and 22 in Wautoma that used to sell Wood Doctors. Don't know if that's still the case, but it was back in September when I went through there.

Hey there,

I'm new to this forum, but got lots to say regarding OWB in general and in particular my corroding stainless steel Wood Doctor furnace. First off I would like you all to know about a site I found devoted to this very subject . . .

http://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php

I have had two SS Wood Doctors corrode threw on me so far and I had only been up and running for 5 heating seasons, so I have lots of things to say about warranty wording, grounding, anodes, water treatment, circulation, piping, heat exchangers and so on!

I hope I will be able to add some insights to this site as well.

I just have to upload a picture now as we all know, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Later,

Leaky :(

I decided to add a picture of the holes in my Heavy Gauge Stainless Steel Wood Doctor Boiler that I'm trying to keep sealed with some high Temperature Epoxy Putty!

Attachments

• IcyLeggedWoodDoctor02s.jpg
    IcyLeggedWoodDoctor02s.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 3,399
  • Corrosion and epoxy patches along belly weld line at back of boiler-4ss.jpg
    Corrosion and epoxy patches along belly weld line at back of boiler-4ss.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 3,409
greeninsulation said:
Our Wood Doctor Gasification Converters are being redesigned to be more energy efficient and will be the industry leader! We ship factory direct so contact us at www.WoodDoctorConverters.com for more info.

Or maybe the "industry leaker!"

Eric Johnson said:
greeninsulation said:
Our Wood Doctor Gasification Converters are being redesigned to be more energy efficient and will be the industry leader! We ship factory direct so contact us at www.WoodDoctorConverters.com for more info.

Or maybe the "industry leaker!"

Eric - ROFL - perfect. :lol: :lol:

MLWD - welcome to the Boiler Room. Nasty pic. I hope you get resolution (perhaps restitution?) with the unit. Cruise around here for a few hours and you'll never go back to an OWB again.

through - from side to side, all the way through, viewing the holes through the other holes, so you can see the rust.
thru - not really a word, but used as in I'm going to drive thru the fast food place
threw - what you want to do with your owb. I threw it over the cliff.
Just thought you'd like to know.

I started up a wood doctor converter(old style) in Oct. and have been very pleased on performance. Burn alot of free pine along with hardwoods, no creosote issues or other problems and get 12 hr all the time no matter how chilly. My problems are the learning curve but slowly I learn what size pieces for what temp demand. Using it on 2 buildings with radiant floors plus dhw and hot tub and so far so good. Have had no warranty issues but asked wood doc before I purchased it what if and "assured" me they stand behind their product, guess should asked how far. Talked to a couple of locals who have wd and they were very happy.

from another thread I read that the wood doctor gassifier works ok but they have problems with the welds, the person who said this had a drawing of the insides of the stove, lots of welds and corners, and the smoke path in the back is very hard to clean. (just what I read)

I weld every day and looking at the welds on my stove they look well done but that is on the outside, time will tell. As far as cleaning there are clean out doors that you use a long handle shovel to clean out the powdered ash, not really an issue. Takes about 5 mins. to do the whole stove once aweek

Eric as moderator was disappointed in your reply "the industy leaker" . First of all the person who wrote and took the pictures was a disgruntled customer trying to claim it was a Wood Doctor. Anyone in the INDUSTRY knows Wood Doctors are not Green in color on the Exterior so it must be a Global Hydronic unit and not a Wood Doctor.. I do understand the customers obvious being upset but we must have all the facts before blame is being thrown around. I really find the forum informative for the most part and hope it will not become anything but that.

Well, I was torn between making a small joke at your expense or calling you out for posting a blatant sales pitch in what's supposed to be a neutral forum and website. Please. Everybody thinks their product is the greatest thing on the market, destined to to become "the industry leader." If you want to promote your product here, you can advertise like everyone else, or at least start a thread containing some useful information that the rest of us can digest and debate. How about some photos and a schematic, along with a simple description of how it works and an invitation for comment?

Announcing that you sell direct and posting a link to your website in the same post is unacceptable, in other words.

OK, thought I would show all how I am managing to keep the water in my Wood Doctor. Not sure if I mentioned yet, but besides perforations along the weld lines I also have some welding that has given way as there is water seeping out from right under the weld bead! This is happening along the top and bottom of my furnace door. >:-(

So I wanted to put some pictures up showing how I use this five-minute high temperature Epoxy putty to seal off the leaks. I spent another 3 hours this weekend stripping off the panels and insulation to get at the leaks! This is the third time this winter so far! :red:

I have numbered these pics 1 threw 9 and I hope you will fine them very informative!

Please refer to the next few posts for the rest of the pictures.

FYI,

Leaky ;-)

Attachments

• 1-Rusty water flowing down from seeping weld at top on underside of furnace door-s.jpg
    1-Rusty water flowing down from seeping weld at top on underside of furnace door-s.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,056
  • 2-Looking up at previous patching at bottom weld of door wire brushed now for more patching-s.jpg
    2-Looking up at previous patching at bottom weld of door wire brushed now for more patching-s.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,027
Ok, next pictures.

Leaky :roll:

Attachments

• 3-Ready to go using one reversed clamp with putty stick and memory foam block-s.jpg
    3-Ready to go using one reversed clamp with putty stick and memory foam block-s.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,986
  • 4-Some mixed putty sitting on memory foam block-s.jpg
    4-Some mixed putty sitting on memory foam block-s.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,984
  • 5-Applying the epoxy patch with clamp pressure-s.jpg
    5-Applying the epoxy patch with clamp pressure-s.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 1,985
And, the last four pics,

Leaky :down:

Attachments

• 6-Clamp pushing memory foam and putty agains leaks-s.jpg
    6-Clamp pushing memory foam and putty agains leaks-s.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,877
  • 7-I was having trouble sealing off the leaks so I invented a sticky epoxy patch using some caulking
    93.3 KB · Views: 1,828
  • 8-Shot of a Perforation coming threw along the weld line-s.jpg
    8-Shot of a Perforation coming threw along the weld line-s.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,907
  • 9-Three hours later still seeping just a little bit but good to go-s.jpg
    9-Three hours later still seeping just a little bit but good to go-s.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,903
Ha! :lol:

I see someone thinks my furnace is actually not a Wood Doctor!

Well my first Stainless Steel Wood Doctor was the right color and had the Wood Doctor logo all over it, but this furnace was replace under warranty at no cost to me cause it developed perforation through it's belly in only it's second heating season! :red:

Funny thing is, when Wood Doctor delivered my replacement furnace, it was all green with Global Hydronics logos all over it! I just figured Wood Doctor was to busy to bother repackaging it with their Wood Doctor colors and logos before they delivered it! :-/

So, where does that leave me now that this replacement they brought me has corroded through along it's weld lines right in the middle of only it's third heating season? :sick:

Well, Wood Doctor sold my original furnace to me and I have still have my original Wood Doctor Warranty for all the good it's doing me! :mad:

FYI,

Attachments

• 2003 Original Purchase Warranty (7)s.jpg
    2003 Original Purchase Warranty (7)s.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 2,113
OK . . . I searched and searched and this is the only picture I could find showing something of my original Wood Doctor furnace!

At least it shows it had light grey panels, which should satisfy some people, I hope! My relatives are busy searching their photos around my property to see it they can find me something better. Who knew, I would find myself trying to prove I actually did originally buy a boldly logo-ed Wood Doctor furnace!

I took this picture while I was attempting to plug the holes perforating the belly of this first (original) furnace. It's not much fun trying to keep the water inside these Wood Doctor furnaces once they have started leaking all over the place.

I may as well throw in some pictures of those simple pine plugs that got me threw only my second heating season with this first furnace!

Leaky :roll:

Attachments

• Buckets to catch boiler water - Grey paneling-s.jpg
    Buckets to catch boiler water - Grey paneling-s.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,785
  • Pine plug in and water jetting out of belly-s.jpg
    Pine plug in and water jetting out of belly-s.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1,797
  • Two Pine plugs in belly to stop water jets-ss.jpg
    Two Pine plugs in belly to stop water jets-ss.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 1,744
  • Water saturated insulation dripping dry-s.jpg
    Water saturated insulation dripping dry-s.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,742
Not to change the subject... but I saw on this thread.. a guy named George in Ct?. George... I was much like you. I started last year investigating a chnage in the way i heated my house. I was first drawn to the OWB. I checked em all out.. I was ready to get a CB but then i stumbled upon this site. I read on this site for easily 40 hours. After... i decided the OWB was not the way to go. I was a little scared at first about this " woodgas " thing and the " gasifier" stuff. But I am one of those kinds of people who if i am going to invest my money... I am going to know everyting about the product i am going to buy. ANyways... I learned a ton about the Tarm on this site. I got over my fear of buying it.. (the biggest fear was I had never seen one.. and i don't know anyone who has one). I called Tarm( great business ... can't say enough good about them) . I went to there business in Lyme NH. I asked every question i could. I finally asked myself this question. " If tons of eurpean people have used this idea for decades... isn't it a tried and true thing? " I mean.... its really not a huge complicated thing... and it is way more efficient than the american idea of OWB. And way more tried and true... and warrantied. It became an easy decision. So... I bought one. Tarm Plus 40. Had good plumber install it. BEST decision i have ever made. I have used 4 cord of maple and 1 cord of pine this eason to heat a 2000 sq ft drafty log cabin with big cathedral cieling area... and all hot water.. .for 5! ... I have used about 30 gallons of fuel. house at 65-70 all year. It is in basement. I fill it up shile in my skivies! no OWB for me! Best decision. Saving about 2000 dollars a year in oil. Total cost?... it will pay for itself in 5 years. Hope this helps

myleakywooddoctor said:
Ha! :lol:

I see someone thinks my furnace is actually not a Wood Doctor!

Well my first Stainless Steel Wood Doctor was the right color and had the Wood Doctor logo all over it, but this furnace was replace under warranty at no cost to me cause it developed perforation through it's belly in only it's second heating season! :red:

Funny thing is, when Wood Doctor delivered my replacement furnace, it was all green with Global Hydronics logos all over it! I just figured Wood Doctor was to busy to bother repackaging it with their Wood Doctor colors and logos before they delivered it! :-/

So, where does that leave me now that this replacement they brought me has corroded through along it's weld lines right in the middle of only it's third heating season? :sick:

Well, Wood Doctor sold my original furnace to me and I have still have my original Wood Doctor Warranty for all the good it's doing me! :mad:

FYI,

there is a wood doctor dealer near me, last time I went by he had three stoves that were all black and didn't have the wood doctor logo on them, it may have been the global hydronics logo.

Welding that Leaky Wood doctor of mine!

Hey Folks,

I haven't been on this site for a while now cause I received news that Wood Doctor decided to fix my boiler leaks after all.
I must say that perhaps there may have been some initial confusion on Wood Doctor's part as to what I was expecting them to do for me. When I finally made it clear that I was not prepared to pay out any additional cash for a replacement furnace, Wood Doctor ceased their efforts on this tact and sent me a welder.

So, all seems water tight again an good to go for another heating season. Of course, I volunteered my time to strip down and put everything back together again, not wanting the welder they sent me to be distracted by anything that wasn't strictly welding and all in all I am quiet pleased with the result.

I must also state that Wood Doctor has graciously instructed me to call this welder directly should any further leaks develop!

Leaky :cheese:

I can seem to control the order of the pics, so . . .

1) Temp Patching
2) Perferations
3) Welder
4) Back Plate
5) Belly Plate

Attachments

• Perforations in the stainless-s.jpg
    Perforations in the stainless-s.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,505
  • Welder Working-s.jpg
    Welder Working-s.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,505
  • Welded Plate at Back of Boiler-s.jpg
    Welded Plate at Back of Boiler-s.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 1,669
  • Belly Plate-s.jpg
    Belly Plate-s.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,553
  • Temporary Patching-s.jpg
    Temporary Patching-s.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,464
Was that welder using a stick welder? I hope so..... The welds look kinda rough.... If they were done with a MIG welder I'd be wondering on that guys abilities.... :)

But hey, if it holds water, that's good enough!

I hope for our sake that the problem that caused all the corrosion has been identified and corrected. With all those spots showing up something is definitely amiss with your boiler and/or system.

I second that point. If you don't find and fix your problem it will come back even faster this time.

You issue is that this stove is not compatible with you system which include the water, piping and everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.