Q&A Outdoor Wood Boilers2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Dear Sir: We have a two year old 2800 square feet house and use a forced air natural gas heating system in the basement to heat the house. I would like to know what would work in conjunction with this system. I would prefer to have a unit that would tie in to the house but would be located outside.

Answer:

There are some companies that make furnaces (hot air) which can be located outside and pump hot air into the home. However, hot air furnaces do not allow for storage of heat, so control can be difficult.

A better solution might be to use an outdoor or indoor wood boiler to do this job, then pipe the hot water to a fan coil located in the duct above your furnace

I am personally not sold on many of the outdoor waterstoves for a number of reasons.
1. The efficiency is lower than that of the new generation of stoves.
2. They can produce a lot of pollution and smoke.
3. There has been some problems with lack of longevity in the field.
My experience is just that, my experience. I have never sold or installed any of these devices. However, I imported the HS TARM boilers from Denmark for a number of years, and several of my dealers also sold Taylor Waterstoves. These dealers complained to me about the above problems.

You could also get a good indoor boiler and locate it either in the basement- or in a garage or other remote room-. Go to https://www.hearth.com/tarm/hs.html to find out about some good boilers.

In either case, buy your boiler from a reputable manufacturer who has had the units safety tested and labeled.

Link: HS TARM Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.