outside air duct

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepinto65

Minister of Fire
Nov 5, 2008
Webster, MA
So I've been wondering this since I got my Vigilant a few months ago. Would it be worth it to hook up an outside air duct to it? I know it was an option for this model but Im looking to hear what the advantages/disadvantages of having one set up opposed to just sucking in air from the room would be. Thanks

Some say yes, others say no, and some say only if your house is really airtight.

I installed one on my stove before I ever used it. My stove functions great and I think a lot of it has to do with the outside air kit. I like the idea of pulling air from the outside instead of getting it elsewhere and creating drafts.

If it is not too hard to hook up, I say do it.

I was outside the other night near my air intake. My stove was running. I put my hand near the intake and could actually feel the air going into it. Pretty neat.

Yea im leaning towards it, did you make yours yourself or did you have to buy a kit? I was thinking of just buying some material and making one myself...can this be done? If not i'd have to find who makes one to fit the Vigilant

I JUST HOOKED UP MY OUTSIDE AIR PIPE AND DID LOTS OF RESEARCH. IT SEEMS IF YOUR HOME HAS NEGATIVE PRESSURE FROM THINGS LIKE BATHROOM VENTS, CLOTHES DRYER, GAS WATER HEATER FORCED AIR HEAT, RADON PUMP ECT. LIKE I HAVE I DEFINITELY WANT TO FEED OUTSIDE AIR TO MY STOVE (WHEN I FINISH HOOKING UP THE STOVEPIPE). I READ ONE ARTICLE AGAINST IT BECAUSE THEY SAID THERE MAY BE A SLIGHT CHANCE A STRONG DOWNDRAFT COULD DIVERT THE EXHAUST OUT THE FRESH AIR DUCT AND CAUSE A FIRE BUT THERE HAS NEVER BEEN A REPORTED CASE OF THIS HAPPENING. MOST LARGER STOVE MANUFACTURERS RECOMMEND OUTSIDE AIR.

Nic36 said:
I was outside the other night near my air intake. My stove was running. I put my hand near the intake and could actually feel the air going into it. Pretty neat.

Just think if you didn't have an OAK, all that air your feeling is coming through cracks and windows into your living space instead of your stove. I think outside air is good whether you house is tight or drafty.

Yeah, having no drafts is definitely nice.

Mike,

All mine required was a 4 inch aluminum dryer duct and a dryer vent. I bought the vent that has the little cage thing on it, so I didn't have to put any rodent mesh over it.

You should be able to make something quite easily. The kits that some stove manufacturers sell are outrageous.

Do you know the size of your stove's air intake?

Its about 2.5" x 2.5" It has a shutter which is attached to a thermostat to regulate the amount of air going in, this part could serve tricky because i'd have to fit everything so the shutter can still operate...i think i'll manage it though. I really want to get this done, my furnace is in my basement with my stove and I can feel a pretty good draft coming from the furnaces flap when im operating my stove. Maybe im wrong but would cold outside air ignite better in the stove?

mikepinto65 said:
Maybe im wrong but would cold outside air ignite better in the stove?

I really have no idea if that is a big benefit or not. There was a lengthy thread here about outside air kits that discussed whether cold air was good or bad. Some were saying that cold air was better since it was more dense and had more oxygen. Others said that moisture and the cold air temperature would negatively affect combustion.

I'm interested.
Do they typically have a damper that can be closed to prevent cold air from coming in?
The ZC fireplace that came with the house originally had an air intake and the hearth was always very cold.
I would assume there would be no tight connection to the stove intake and you could close the damper even if there was a weak fire still going.
It might be too late to back fit to the insert but I'll look into it.

Some AOKs have a shutoff damper for when the stove is not in use. Mine does not. In really cold weather if I don't have a fire in the stove, I will get frost forming on the glass and steel.

Could anyone post pics of a homemade AOK? I have an idea in my head but seeing what others have done never hurts

Could anyone post pics of their homemade AOK? I have an idea in my head but seeing what others have done never hurts

Attachments

• stovehearth.jpg
    stovehearth.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 219
Thanks, i tried looking after you posted but you have some many damn posts! I'll take a look.

I know. I had the same problem finding it. Some forums have a "search for threads by username" and some such as this only allow to search for posts. I hope you got there and had a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.